Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Exclamation African Cichlids Fighting

Hey guys,

I am having issues with fighting among my mixed African cichlids. I have 6 juvenile mixed africans in a 75 gallon tank and they all seem to be picking at each other. There is one in particular who has really taken a beating.

I lost one fish a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure of the cause of death. It could have been from fighting as there were no signs of illness in any of the fish.

One of the suggestions that I read is to get more fish in the tank. I've been slowly growing my tank (adding a few fish every 2-3 months). I was also thinking about quarantining the one fish that has been bullied the worst (he's always hanging near the top of the tank and doesn't eat as often).

Would I be wrong in taking these steps to help correct the problem? I may pick up 3-4 more fish this afternoon if it will help. The only quarantine tank that I have right now is a 5 gallon, but the one fish that needs quarantining is fairly small. What are your thoughts?

Old 06-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How did you go on sorting?

Old 06-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

With Africans, hardscaping is a very important factor to help deal with aggression. Stocking different varieties of male Peacocks is a good way to start and mix in some easy Mbuna and Haps, like Acei, Red Fin Borleyi or a Yellow Lab.
Just don't randomly stock Africans. Post pics of your tank when convenient.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the responses. I have a large piece of driftwood and two medium-sized rocks in the tank right now. Here are some pics that I had taken previously.

\

Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

They all look a little beat up. You have a nice looking set up, but things will probably work out better with a lot more hardscape. Building tunnels, line of sight breaks and hiding spots will help things immensely.
I have to beef up the hardscapes on all of my tanks due to the varieties of cichlids I keep.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
They all look a little beat up. You have a nice looking set up, but things will probably work out better with a lot more hardscape. Building tunnels, line of sight breaks and hiding spots will help things immensely.
I have to beef up the hardscapes on all of my tanks due to the varieties of cichlids I keep.
Thank you for the advice. I will see if I can find some rocks or something to add to the tank. My local fish store has a ton of rocks similar to the one you saw in the pictures, so maybe I can get more of them and stack them somehow.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do your rock shopping at your local rock yard or landscape company. You'll have a vast selection of rocks to choose from, at a mere fraction of the price of the rocks for sale at the fish store.
Pictured is my 120 gal. Tank hardscaped with approx. 100 lbs. Of Texas Holey Rocks "Honeycombed" Limestone. All purchased from my local rock yard for about 20 cents per lb.
That stuff sells for $4.25 per pound at my LFS. Limestone would work well with your African cichlids. It's a lot of fun hunting for show rocks through the piles at the rock yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180301_100324.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	309346  
Old 06-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I found these rocks out in my back yard. Do you guys think they will be safe for my tank? I'm not sure if they've ever had insecticides or weed killer sprayed on them before. They've been out there for years.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Several of them have a lot of character. It's your call regarding possible exposure to toxins.
Might be better to collect some rocks from one of your Arkansas creek beds if you have any doubt. Be sure to rinse the crap out of them. Lol.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Several of them have a lot of character. It's your call regarding possible exposure to toxins.
Might be better to collect some rocks from one of your Arkansas creek beds if you have any doubt. Be sure to rinse the crap out of them. Lol.
I was thinking about soaking them for a few days at the very least.

Tags
african, african cichlid, african cichlids, cichlid, cichlids, fight, fighting, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com