Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

African Clawed Frog has red dots?!

hi guys, I'm new here just looking for a little advice on what to do. I currently own a 10 gallon freshwater tank with three goldfish and two african clawed frogs. I am not an expert, I just got these fish and frogs for fun.

I've had the frogs for about 5 months now with no probelms. One is green and the other is albino. The albino one seems to have developed some sort of fungus over this past weekend. To me his body looks less white and more yellow than it usually is, and he has tiny red dots across the sides and his skin looks more "porous" than usual. Around his eyes looks darker and where his legs and arms attatch to his body look darker. His underside is completely clear except for a few bumps mid belly.

Right now, I have him isolated from the three fish and frog because he doesn't look very good at all. In the 10 gallon tank I did a 50% water change and added the reccomended dose of Fungus Eliminator (made by jungle). The albino frog is in water with the fungus eliminator in it too.

I can take a picture of him and post it if you guys need it.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to aquarium advice. I have african clawed frogs and goldfish as well, and I started out the hobby with one of each. Unfortunately you've done a couple things wrong so far. Your goldfish cannot be in the same tank as the african clawed frogs. ACFs generally shouldn't have other tankmates actually because they are very aggressive with food and get pretty large. The goldfish should be in a significantly larger tank. How big are the goldfish? The general rule is almost 10 gallons or more for each goldfish. Some goldfish can exceed a foot in length. Mine are in a 30 gallon tank with several other smaller fish. My 5 ACFs are in a 15 gallon tank by themselves. I dont know very much about frog diseases but yours obviously has some kind of illness. I'm glad to hear its not with the other animals.
check this site out: www.clawedfrogs.com and read about disease and illness. Keep the water very clean that the sick frog is in and make sure you're using the fungicide correctly.

pw changed
Phoenixphire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HI, thanks for your advice. After the frog was isolated in watyer with the fungus eliminator, he became all better. He's fine and back in with the other fish now.

I do realize that the frogs get very big, and they are aggressive, my albino one used to pick on my black moor before he passed away. My goldfish now are fairly small. and the frogs actually hide in one corner most of the day until i feed them.

And yes, i know about the ten gallon rule, and I am pretty upset thtat the people at the pet store didn't tell me that. I really don't have the extra money to spend on a 30 gallon tank, so thats what they have to live in for now.

Tags
african, african clawed frog, claw, clawed, dots, frog, red spot, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com