Aggressive .... Danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Uh - yes... I think - really! :confused: Or he is sick or something.

So I lost 2 of my long fin danios within about 10 days of each other. So I started keeping a closer eye on what was going on in there. Really who does know what goes on when the light goes off... ?

I noticed a 3rd of my long fin danios was quite larger than all 6 danios I had total... And he was always swimming really fast. My pearl danios (the other 3 left in the tank) are very very small and thin... I then noticed this fish chased them A LOT - but then last night I actually saw him go after my ANGEL Fish?

I swear!

I made the decision last night to remove him from my 36 gallon and put him in with the cherry barbs in the 10 gallon until I come up with another solution.

The 3 pearls have been hiding a lot. Even today still hiding - I'm worried about them.

Anywho - so the cRaZY danio is in the 10 gallon and still swimming like a nut. He pretty much is leaving the other fish alone unless they get in his flight path...

Has anyone heard of this? I have had this fish since Early September! This last month he went nuts???

Does that make any sense at all??

Janelle

When I had zebra danios, I had an issue with one that was slightly larger than the other four who simply could not stop picking on them. And now, with my purple passion danios, they cannot be with any other fish of their kind. These four rip up or force them to jump out any new comers, even if it's a group.

It probably went crazy because of some dominance level that finally clicked in his head that he needs to assert over the other fish. And danios can be nippy at other fish, that's not really out of the ordinary. Either way, it's good you separated him. You don't want him messing up the balance in your tank.

Thank you for your reply...

I want to give him a spanking or something! Trouble maker - My pearls seem really weak now - I don't think I can do anything about it though... Just hope they recover before they die... Now his chasing the barbs. There isn't anything he is afraid of... :(

I know now he is responsible for the deaths of my other long fin danios - and they were so pretty.

((sigh))

Janelle

I had the same problem with my original 8 zebra danios in my community tank. 2 of the larger ones were chasing one of the smaller ones. I figured they were just establishing a pecking order and when I got home from work the smallest one had no tail left. Quickly removed it into a hospital tank but now I only have 7 zebra danios that act like they own the tank!

The 2 larger ones did act like bullies for a while in the tank until my angelfish got larger. I think his size and temperament kind of put those 2 in their places because I rarely ever see them chasing others around anymore.

Edit: Hit send too early.

Danios are basically psychotic fish. Nothing they do surprises me. I have to admit, I didn't miss them much when my rainbow shark ate the entire school so they'd stop irritating him. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom