aggressive tiger barb injured tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anmarie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys I am a new tank owner when i bought my fish I didn't do enough research and didn't know that tiger barb tend to be aggressive in schools less then six. so i proceeded to buy 3 tiger barb and 3 tetra along with a pleko who has since passed and i added a gold fish who was going to be flushed alive (long story) my problem is since I dont have a proper school my barbs are extremely aggressive toward the tetra and even killed one how can i keep them from killing the rest ( buying more dosnt seem to be a good idea as i have a ten gallon tank) :(

Im just assuming Neon Tetras, are the type you are describing. If so, Neons are very fragile tetras, requiring near perfect water parameters to survive. Tiger Barbs are a much more durable fish, and a good beginner fish to learn aquarium management basics.
I suggest that as nature takes its course, replace the fallen with another Tiger Barb until you get a school of 5. Might also add a Few Cory Catfish to help clean the substrate.

thank you i was just hoping to keep the neon tetra because i love the colors but they are not ideal for my new tank

Don't add more fish. It's early enough to catch any potential mistakes before more happen lol, which will save you a lot of time, frustration and money. A ten gallon isn't big enough for tiger barbs or goldfish. Goldfish need at least 30g for the first one, and that's with fancies, if it's a common goldfish it should really be in a pond. Tiger barbs are thicker bodied barbs and need more swimming room than a 10g for a proper school. I'd see about either getting a bigger tank, rehoming the goldfish and/or taking back the tiger barbs. Spend more time researching before you do anything else. If you need help we're here for you.

the common gold fish was some sick experiment in a school he had fin rot which I got rid of before he entered with every one else hes doing well i am not concerned for him especially since this is a temporary trial home ( i have a bigger empty tank 170 gal) i just want to learn the basics with a small tank before i stock such a big tank. i am wondering if i should just let nature take its course and learn i honestly just bought the least expensive fish i could. which obviously is my fault what fish would you recommend if i do bring the tiger barbs back or find them a more suitable home .:thanks: i tested my water and the only thing that is off slightly is the ph which im working on raising. i dont plan on adding any fish until either the gold fish is in its forever tank and tetra have passed or if i return the barbs.

What's your ph at? For the most part it's better to leave the ph alone instead of trying to constantly 'fix' it, which can lead to ph crashes that can kill your fish. Most fish are pretty adaptive unless it's certain types or a drastic change from the previous tank it was kept in.

It's easier to keep a bigger tank than a smaller tank, it's more forgiving of mistakes like late water changes, the smaller ones can get unstable very quickly.

ph is at 6.5 i woke up and its cloudy but none of the levels seem to be drastically off there pretty much the same as yesterday im considering filing the big tank this week. i just hope my lack of experience doesn't ruin the big tank and waste money.

What are your levels, and are you using test strips or a liquid kit? Test strips are notoriously unreliable and will give you false readings

Back
Top Bottom