Ailing habrosus, treating with General Cure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday we noticed our last habrosus catfish acting odd (we have had him just under 2 months). He was swimming up to get a breath, but then would kind of "fall", floating down on his side, wiggling his tail. He did this over and over.

We decided to take him out of the tank (20g community) and put him in the 2.5g Deep Blue tank that we have, with about a 50% mix of fresh and tank water from the 20g tank, so that we could treat him and also isolate him so he wouldn't have so far to swim up for a breath and wouldn't have to be in the big tank while not feeling well. Unfortunately it was time to go to work so there was no time to medicate him yet.

When I got home from work, we mixed 1/4 of a packet of API General Cure (as close to 1/4 as I could try to get to) into a gallon of water, sucked out a bit over half of the water we had in the little tank, and then poured in the water with the medicine. In 2 more days we will do another 1/4 packet and then go from there.

The little guy seems to be doing better. I haven't seen him swimming oddly and he seems to be doing ok.

Thoughts? Any ideas? Did we do the right thing?

Water quality???

What are your readings? They are quite sensitive to poor water conditions. Sometimes you will need to do more frequent pwc. Barbels can be damaged from poor water and rough substrate.

We just did a water change after moving him to the small tank so I'm not sure :(

It's fully cycled (the 20g) and has been fully cycled for quite some time. The nitrates have been a bit high (around 40) so we've been changing the water more frequently.

We have sand in the 20g tank.

The little dear is swimming around a lot this morning :). Pretty sure he ate something. :)

Time for the second round of treatment today :)

Well last night and this morning, he was leaning towards the side again when laying down. Also, he was moving along the bottom, kind of using one side of his body to use his fins to kind of "hip" forward :/

He's on his 2nd treatment of the general cure.... any other ideas? :) I really want to save this little guy.

Its pretty tough to know whats wrong with a fish because so many symptoms are symptoms of many diffrenet diseases, or several diseases at once. The "general cure" is Metronidazole, a internal antibiotic and paracide, and praziquintel is a shock "dewormer" that also kills flukes, gill and skin i believe, and Tematodes, a certain type of miscroscopic worm. Again, Its hard to say what is wrong with your fish.
Is he kind of spiriling out of control?
Sitting in one place shimmying?
Hanging at bottom or top?
Does he look skinny or bloated?
Feces is stringy white or normal?
These things would all help me help you, and in the future, if this comes back, you would know exactly what it is and what to do medicine/treatment to use.

Thanks Matt!!

I tried to reply days ago but the power went out that day and I haven't had a chance to really get on here since then.

The little guy is still alive. He gets a breath now and then. He swims around a little.

I don't think he's eaten in several days. His mouth moves open and shut frequently.

It looks like there are little pieces of skin or something flaking off from his face. not quite sure.

Should we treat him with general cure again? I want to save him.

I don't want him alone in the tank without other fish to keep him company, but, we also don't want anyone else to get sick. Not sure what to do :(

I fear the end is close for this poor little fish.

So far since I got home from work about 2 hrs ago, he's been on his side and his back. Always able to upright himself, but, that is definitely not normal.

:'(

Edit: I just saw him fall through the water, onto his back, downwards. I hate that there's nothing I can do. I really like this little fish.

Thank you :)

Yeah :/. I don't have the heart to do that.

He's laying on his side looking so helpless clinging to life :'(

Upon out of water examination, I see that the front of his face is gone. It's just missing. Tried to get a picture but it's hard with such a small creature and putting the camera so close.

And his belly is yellow.

Any idea what may cause that?!

Thank you.

I watched him suffer for two days. I'm glad he's not suffering anymore but I miss him.

Back
Top Bottom