Albino BN Pleco red things near vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard decaying snails can make quite a mess.. is there a chance of many mts rotting in the substrate??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard decaying snails can make quite a mess.. is there a chance of many mts rotting in the substrate??

I added about 8-10 of them in mid-October to one tank only. I've never seen babies (including trying to catch them at night). So it is possible there were just a gazillion babies hidden down there. But I've done a bit of digging (literally) now without finding any.

The more interesting aspect is I have zero MTS in the second tank. I keep looking for a common cause. It could be two independent causes of course but...

I make my own water at dKH=4 +/-, so the PH hovers around 7.6 to 7.8, occasionally creeping up to 8.0. I've been changing it so rapidly other than ammonia and nitrites there are not a lot of clues there, as it does not have time to be affected much by the tank.

Maybe the mts in your substrate are dead and are decomposing, causing the high ammonia?

As I said, it is possible in one tank, which has deep substrate and is very large (220G), though I do see some of them alive on the surface. but possible.

Not possible in the small tank -- there are no snails there that live in the substrate, and the same cycle started there.

As an update, I've completed the second treatment and following water change. All survived this treatment, though once again most fish stopped eating while the medicine was in the tank. I've seen no more worms, but I guess I have a few weeks of waiting to see if any show up.

The cycle, which for reasons unknown kicked off, seems to be coming to an end - ammonia has been zero in both tanks for several days, but nitrites are high and I am still changing water every 3 days or so. But it seems nitrite production rate has dropped so I hope it is ending.

Does the tank water still smell ok? If I get a dead fish I can smell it. A long shot maybe with smaller snails I guess.

Back
Top Bottom