Albino Tiger Barb Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjc081499

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if someone had any suggestions for my Albino Tiger Barb. I have an 80 gallon tank with 9 Tiger Barbs (4 Regular, 3 Green, and 2 Albino), 1 Pleco, 1 Red Tail Shark, and 2 Pink Kissing Gouramis. It has been set up for a few months now. My little albino has been acting funny the last few days. I find him hiding in the corner with very figity movement. He did not eat today and his mouth is looking abnormal. It is as if his lower lip has gotten bigger. He has a bit of an underbite now. My levels are showing normal. Could this be a mouth fungus? I have dealt with ick before but that is about it.

he might be at the end of the pecking order.... or it might be the only male or female but do you relize that they are aggressive and might get in a fight with the other fish.

I'd say it's low man on the totem pole who's getting bullied by the other Barbs.
Its mouth could be an injury or illness brought on by the stress the low barb experiences.

Same thing happened to my smallest barb .. Also an albino. It ended up having it's fins nipped, would hide from the others although it ate OK.

Thank you for your replies. I know that tiger barbs can be very aggressive. This is the 4th or 5th tank setup I have had barbs but I have never dealt with this before. It has spread to one of me green and regular tigers as well as my pink gourami. I beleive it may be something bacterial combined with aggressive behavior.I think I am going to go get a 10 gal tank for quarantine. I have never had a quaratine tank before (probably should have) any suggestions?

Yep... Aggression and bacterial sounds like the culprits. A 10gal hospital QT'd the way to go.
Don't go nuts trying to get a 10gal tank when a Rubbermaid bin, heater and airstone will do the job.

my albino barbs i think are getting ready to lay eggs??? not sure but their noses(the fat ones)are red and they are being followed by the smaller ones (they don't have red noses)
Ant help would be great,

my albino barbs i think are getting ready to lay eggs??? not sure but their noses(the fat ones)are red and they are being followed by the smaller ones (they don't have red noses)
Ant help would be great,

So the males (red noses) are being followed by the females (no red)? Why couldn't I be that lucky in High School?

I've seen the same thing in my tank ... haven't seen eggs yet so that may just be part of their behavior.

Back
Top Bottom