Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Algae Eater is missing

I got a very small pleco over a week ago. Actually, New Year's eve. No other really big fish in there at all. He was coming out. I have not seen him. I moved around some of the caves and ornaments and nope, he is not there. Where did Sergio go?? Plus, no body, bones, etc... HELP!!!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPleese View Post
I got a very small pleco over a week ago. Actually, New Year's eve. No other really big fish in there at all. He was coming out. I have not seen him. I moved around some of the caves and ornaments and nope, he is not there. Where did Sergio go?? Plus, no body, bones, etc... HELP!!!
Check your filter. I had one get in my aqua clear 50 cause I had the water level right up to the output.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome. Another Ohio member, practically a neighbor too... lol

Honestly as far as your fish goes though, I'm guess it died and was either eaten or sucked into the filter. You never know though, could be hiding somewhere. I remember I had a couple small plecos and I couldn't find one of them, to realize it was on a piece of driftwood I pulled out of the tank.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

We also have a new leopard pleco, in the hope he would clean the glass / eat the algae. He frequently disappears for a few days, and even though u check under Every ornament, can find him, and then he reappears. His favourite spot seems to be in the narrow gap between the heater and the glass
Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

Our pleco in his favourite spot. Hopefully he will grow soon and then have no choice but to be more visible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2813.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	306158  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Throw a piece of zucchini in there, or a wafer. If he's there he'll smell it and come out. And turn your lights off when you do. Make him want to come out.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

^^That's a good idea. If you toss some veggies in there and it's hiding somewhere it should come out within a couple hours I'd think.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 4 cories in my tank. For a week or two after I introduced them into the tank, they used to come out when the lights were on. After that, I had to search for them and even then, I could see one or two. I tried multiple times to count them moving around my ornaments and rocks, ended up messing the layout.

I will suggest you this. As angellove78 said, throw a piece or zucchini or algae wafers but right before lights off. After 2-3 hours, turn on the flash on your phone, go near your tank and search for it. At least, that's how I found my cories. They were all sitting right near the middle, munching up on the algae wafers. I think I tried this at 1 AM or so. Good luck, hope Sergio is alive and just hiding from you.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wouldn't I see bones or a body if he were dead?? He is very small, but I seen him under an ornamnet the first few days I got him, and I moved them the other day to see if he was there. No. This bothers me. Sergio is his name. Come back Sergio : (
Old 01-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPleese View Post
Wouldn't I see bones or a body if he were dead?? He is very small, but I seen him under an ornamnet the first few days I got him, and I moved them the other day to see if he was there. No. This bothers me. Sergio is his name. Come back Sergio : (
Did you try the wafer? And being so small you might not see remains. Did you check the filter? floor? Places where you think he could get stuck?

Tags
algae, algae eater, ate, eat, eater, missing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com