Algae eating things dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShockerFX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So last night my pleco bought the farm and today it looks like my snail did the same it also appears that I had a large algae outbreak could this be poison algae or something of that nature the fish appear to be fine1490662934230.jpg1490662942334.jpg

I don't have a home test kit taking water down tomorrow tank has been running 5 months

What all fish do you have, and when was your last water change?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 4 zebra danios 1 snail and there was a pleco I did a water change after I noticed the pleco had died and before that maybe two weeks

Im pretty positive you have two separate unrelated issues. As most algae is actually beneficial to water quality. Minus a few exceptions. A picture with white light will help ID algae. Kinda look like diatoms.

Complete tank specs with stock and params will help with the fish.

Test your water.
What size tank ?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change ?

Plecos need at least 30g or more. They often need driftwood as well as supplemental food. They don't live on Algae alone.

Algae Eaters including snails only eat certain kinds of Algae. You need to offer them food as well.

Don't add more fish till you know what happened.

To combat algae;
Lights on timers. Reduce to 6 hours daily.
Water changes weekly
Don't overfeed
Don't overstock

A well balanced tank won't have a lot of algae.

Got my water tested everything is perfect the snail made it no problems and now I'm doing algae wafers to supplement some food

Back
Top Bottom