algea tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a syphon (or how ever you spell it) and I try to use it to clean out the agea but it doesnt seem to work. Any tips or suggestions? maybe a product or somthing, well thanks

I recommend this chemical called "AlgaeFix". It works as long as you read the instructions and you still need to scrape the algae off the glass. I use a toothbrush to clean off the glass even though it's a little more work but you get into tighter spaces. Live plants can help against algae too since they compete with it for nutrients and what not. Direct sunlight can be a major factor for algae blooms as well, although a little sunlight isn't a bad thing especially if you have live plants.

That's my advice. And be careful with chemicals, add a little at a time to make sure it doesn't have bad effects on the fish and other inhabitants.

I would stick to natural ways, such as plants or scraping. A while ago Christmasfish recommended putting a lucky bamboo in a tank to take out nitrates and reduce the amount of nutrients for the algae. I tried it, but my cats ate the bamboo in a couple of days :x Since then, I placed a couple of low light plants in my tanks and things are looking great!

i have 2 java ferns and i have i htink standard lighting(flouresent bulbs maybe...no idea lol)what else could i put in there for plants to keep the angea out of the way cause its going to be a problem? i have cories but they dont seem to like it to much.

i dont think i can fit a pleco...10 gal 4 zebra danios and 3 cory cats....also probly getting some black phantom tetras

Clown Plecos don't get big at all, I have one in my 15 gallon and it's only 3 inches, probably not even that. They're better than otos at gettin to the algae and I think they're more attractive. Their scientific name is "peckoltia vittata" or somethin like that.

And here's a question for anyone reading this topic... What plants help the best at reducing algae? I'd sure love a couple more ways to attack my algae problem. I just bought some algae eating shrimp so hopefully that'll help.

you might think Im nuts but I wish I had an algae problem. I have very little to no algae, and I am always worried my little otos have nothing to eat.

Back
Top Bottom