All around medication?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I purchased 3 feeder goldfish for use in my aquaponics system that is currently cycling. Two of the fish look like they have some sort of disease, the third looks fine. They are currently in a 10 gallon with am aqueon qf10 filter and receiving 90% water changes daily. I want to treat them and get them healthy so that I don't have to worry about them later.

What's a good all around treatment for fish diseases? Primafix? Melafix?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's what these guys look like, any idea what causes this?

Attachments

• 1394760514729.jpg
    1394760514729.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 1394760527770.jpg
    1394760527770.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 61
I'm on a well, so yes. I let the water sit for 12 hours beforehand. The temperature is 70 degrees in the room with no heater.

I've added stress coat for the aloe Vera, but I figured treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic with antifungal would be a good course of action.

No, don't have salt because I don't use any chemicals except for buffer/PH adjustment and occasionally stress coat for the aloe in it.

Are you referring to the black areas? What other symptoms do they have?

One fish likely has some degree of gill damage and/or deformity based on appearance of a red, flared operculum. The picture is not very clear in respect to their fins but they appear like they may be very ragged and/or missing in areas?

Some more information will be helpful!

Are you referring to the black areas? What other symptoms do they have?

One fish likely has some degree of gill damage and/or deformity based on appearance of a red, flared operculum. The picture is not very clear in respect to their fins but they appear like they may be very ragged and/or missing in areas?

Some more information will be helpful!

Yes the black areas. The fins have some black areas as well, and one of the has a black spot on the tail that doesn't look like healthy tissue. They aren't acting like they're stressed. They get a daily 90% water change because the tank isn't big enough and their permanent home is cycling. The third fish which is not pictured does not have any of these spots on it.
Sorry for the crap picture quality, there's no light on the track, or overhead light in the room. so it makes for blurry pictures. Coupled with them not being super comfortable in the tank and we'll, that's what I got.

Got a decent picture of the middle sized one, the largest of the group with beat up fins won't hold still. Also attached a picture of the third one who appears fine.

Attachments

• 1394809252770.jpg
    1394809252770.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 1394809318117.jpg
    1394809318117.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 55
Let me know if these pictures help any.

Attachments

• 1394810290085.jpg
    1394810290085.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 1394810301885.jpg
    1394810301885.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 46
Thanks! I know these guys are pretty difficult to take pics of! The black areas are ammonia-burned tissue. The best thing for them is lots of healthy water which you are doing a great job with! The burns will repair themselves with time and healthy water but it may take a month or longer. If you have other concerns with these guys, please let us know and we will help further! :)

It won't hurt them and may even be a bit helpful. The most important thing is to limit further ammonia exposure so they have a chance to heal. Beyond this, nothing special is needed other than time. :)

Alright, the spots definitely don't look as dark as they did the first day.

Back
Top Bottom