All Ich, or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is long because it's been a battle, and I want to be thurough for the most accurate answers. Alright here it goes...

I had a 10 gallon tank with a well established family of guppies (about 5 males and 10 females) and 2 young albino bristenose plecos. I had them all for over a month with no issue.

They were all fine and dandy while I set up my 33 long tank, fully planted with the good plant-feeding gravel... some already established wood, ect. I let this tank cycle for about two and a half weeks (with some healthy bacteria cultures from my 10 gallon in the filter as well as bacteria drops). Once it was stable and all my parameters safe, I moved them over, and life was good.I was even able to add my crippled half moon betta with a back problem, because he couldnt catch the guppies to hurt them! It was lovely!

The horror began when I purchased some more guppies and 3 rams from a very nice fish store in Vancouver.
I checked all my parameters, and got all the levels right before putting these guys in the old 10 gallon. The intent was to use it as a hospital tank before introducing them to my 33long. Well, by the next night, some fish were gasping and sitting on the bottom acting as if they simply couldn't handle the quality of the water. I was afraid there was some out of balance chemical I was missing (toxins from something on my hands, the outside of the bag I floated them in, ect) so I just threw in the towel and transferred them to the 33 long because I knew the water was 100% fine there... I didnt want to waste all the money I had just spent and kill these fish. Hindsight's 20-20 though. :{

Everyone was good for about two weeks, and then all of a sudden, little white dots on the rams. Very clearly Ich. I panicked, searching the internet for the best answer. My pleco's were my babies, so I didn't want to risk them and my plants by adding salt, and many people had said heating the tank killed off all their fish anyways. I took a gamble and used the Mardel Coppersafe I had. There is no carbon in my filter.

Everyone seemed fine and unaffected by it. No plant death, no fish death. I kept my tank at about 78 to keep the lifecycle of the ich fast so I could see if the copper was working right away. However, about 7 days passed, and the ich only got worse. Way worse. New outbreaks, it started appearing on all my guppies and my 2 sweet plecos... they were all soon covered. I could tell the copper simply was not affecting it for some reason.

I decided I needed to go more drastic, because some of the guppies had begun dying off, and more were growing lethargic. I cleaned out my 10 gallon with all new water and rinsed out my gravel, and such. I have a massive airstone in there, and got it up to temperature and moved all the fish over. In this tank I added 1tsp of aquarium salt to every gallon. I check the ph, ammonia, No2 and No3 regularly, and just did a 35% water change (2 days later). As soon as I moved them though, things took a really nasty turn. Guppies started dying, the living ones are clamping fins, darting all over, and cramming themselves on one another in the bottom corner of the tank. The rams are gasping and clamping fins...

I checked on them this morning, went out for the day, and came back to find not only my poor betta dead, but one of my sweet little pleco's as well. Many tears later, and a water quality check that revealed nothing bad (7.4 ph, 0 amonia, 0 NO2, 0 NO3) I noticed my other albino bristlenose was beginning to turn red down by his tail... It looked like a patch of irritation, or internal bleeding. (keep in mind the first one had no such signs). I slowly increased the temperature by about 1 degree every 2 hours (I'm planning to get it to 86 by the morning). Every time I checked on my pleco though, he looked worse and worse, and the red was spreading. When he finally died, he was covered in red across about half of his body (under the skin. 99% sure its internal bleeding of some kind). I have yet to find any information on this issue or why it would occur. It broke my heart. This has been an incredibly stressful day.

The fish all have a healthy apetite and come up to eat, but their fins are starting to tatter, and they are constantly darting and rubbing against the bottom or darting into the wake of the airstone.

As for my 33 long, I am doing water changes, raised the temperature to near 90, and put carbon in my filter to help get rid of the copper... but I saw a snail in there today... so I think the copper never actually worked!

So my questions are:
Why would the copper not have worked in the first place?
Is it too late to save these guys? Should I expect they will all die?
Is the lethargic-tattered fin state caused by the ich as well (totally opposite symptoms to darting and rubbing), or do I have a mix of diseases?
What on earth happened to my pleco that caused him to... bleed internally like that? Was it the salt? Could I have saved him once it started, or is it one of those things that's too late once you notice it? I would have gotten a picture but he has been put to rest...

It's a hot mess. Help. ;-;

Hi, welcome to AA.

Bit late here so just covering some of your questions.

The redness on the skin, etc sounds like a bacterial infection / scepticemia . Increasing the temperature would have sped up the bacterial infection (unlike ich it doesn't die off at high temps either).

The copper is very strange. Is your tank ph always 7.4? Also do you dose any other products when you put the copper sulphate in (including water conditioner or ferts).

I did find this (however your ph doesn't seem that high):

'Also note that silicone in the aquarium will absorb Malachite Green, Methylene Blue, and Copper Sulfate (because they are a dye). Most corals crushed or similar, and ceramic decorations will also absorb medications.'

Hey Delapool! Thank you so much for your fast reply and warm welcome. I've been coming here for answers for a long time, but in this case, no one else's thread was helping.

I never even thought of septicemia but as soon as I looked it up, that's probably exactly what it was.
I had forgotten about my one male guppy who went through a similar thing with a red patch on his side... but it didn't spread like it did on the pleco. Either way, I have the med's for it, so should I treat for it while I'm dealing with this ich?

I had thought about adding melafix to help with any bacterial infections and injuries, but I know it decreases O2, and the O2 will already be low from the high temp so I didn't want to suffocate them. Should I though, or would it be too hard on them?

The PH does always seem to stay right around 7.4

I use our city water with water conditioner. I was just using top fin water conditioner. When I switched them to the 10gallon I used nutrafin aqua plus.

The gravel of the 33long had fertilizer in it (so I haven't added anything). But I guess it was the water conditioner removing the copper... that seems silly though because most people have to treat their tap water.... so how do you use metal-based med's in your tank at all, short of going out and buying buckets full of distilled?

*edit: There are also ceramic chips in the 33 long filter...I've never heard of them doing anything but providing a home for bacteria though so I left them. Do they remove metals too? *

Hey Delapool! Thank you so much for your fast reply and warm welcome. I've been coming here for answers for a long time, but in this case, no one else's thread was helping.

I never even thought of septicemia but as soon as I looked it up, that's probably exactly what it was.
I had forgotten about my one male guppy who went through a similar thing with a red patch on his side... but it didn't spread like it did on the pleco. Either way, I have the med's for it, so should I treat for it while I'm dealing with this ich?

I had thought about adding melafix to help with any bacterial infections and injuries, but I know it decreases O2, and the O2 will already be low from the high temp so I didn't want to suffocate them. Should I though, or would it be too hard on them?

The PH does always seem to stay right around 7.4

I use our city water with water conditioner. I was just using top fin water conditioner. When I switched them to the 10gallon I used nutrafin aqua plus.

The gravel of the 33long had fertilizer in it (so I haven't added anything). But I guess it was the water conditioner removing the copper... that seems silly though because most people have to treat their tap water.... so how do you use metal-based med's in your tank at all, short of going out and buying buckets full of distilled?

*edit: There are also ceramic chips in the 33 long filter...I've never heard of them doing anything but providing a home for bacteria though so I left them. Do they remove metals too? *

I agree with the copper - unless you're running purigen or carbon or something then you would think the manufacturers would take this all into account. That was all I could think of that maybe you were dosing something else at the same time or there was something soaking it up (don't suppose you have a copper test kit)? Neither really made sense though.

Do your fish still have ich now or spots gone and finishing off treatment? What is tank temp?

If tank temp is still up but the tattering is getting worse than you could try a half dose of pimafix / melafix. Or triple sulpha. I only use these for low level infections/problems ime.

Mixing meds and high heat is generally not suggested for the stress and low O2 as you mention so would have to watch them carefully (as I suspect you already know :) ).

Dis you tAke out the carbon in the filter?

I had carbon in my canister and didn't realize...luckily I caught it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey Del,

I really did think they would take that into account but I guess not? Now I'm also worried the conditioner may have removed my plant's iron too, but I will deal with that later. XD One problem at a time.

I just went and picked up a digital thermometer (to go along with my 2 standard ones) for the most accurate reading and it's saying the tank is at 84.7 so I'm bringing up up a bit more.Gotta get that sweet 86!

Everyone is looking pretty rough, so I can't tell if what I'm seeing now are ich spots or irritated scales or what... I don't see any ich on the rams though. I will keep my eye on it... the first time I moved them from the 33 to the 10, the spots all disappeared as well, so my faith isn't high.

One of my rams died of what looked like the internal bleeding around his face this morning, so I bit the bullet and added the recommended dosage of Maricyn Two. Everyone left in the tank seems to be feeling WAY better after that. The remaining rams are no longer clamping their fins, and the guppies seem far less irritated. No clamping from them anymore either, and they have stopped cramming themselves in the bottom corner. They are all pretty tattered and still a bit over-active, but I think the heat has something to do with their energy level at least.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Hey Michel, I never had any carbon in my filter. Kept it out for the sake of my plants.

I think (guessing) it would need to be dosed at same time to be an issue. Like if you did a pwc with conditioner, then med dosed, I thought maybe they could interact.

From memory prime and others will wear off in a day or so in detoxifying ammonia, so maybe that would be worse case. Will see if I can find anything more.

Good luck with the tank. I've had a bacterial infection hit straight after using the heat method on ich. Ended up dropping temp and swapping to meds but not much fun.

Oh man, they were doing better for a bit there, but I just had a HUGE outbreak of the ich dots. The remaining guppies are nearly finless, and look like they've been snowed on... My temp is at a steady 86 so I have no idea why it keeps getting worse. I guess I'll bring it up a bit more? I'm loosing about 2-3 guppies a day... I don't really expect the rest to make it out alive.... for some reason the ram's look a ton better than the guppies though. They are still shiny and active, and only have a few ich spots... very odd.

What a nightmare. :{

Oh man, they were doing better for a bit there, but I just had a HUGE outbreak of the ich dots. The remaining guppies are nearly finless, and look like they've been snowed on... My temp is at a steady 86 so I have no idea why it keeps getting worse. I guess I'll bring it up a bit more? I'm loosing about 2-3 guppies a day... I don't really expect the rest to make it out alive.... for some reason the ram's look a ton better than the guppies though. They are still shiny and active, and only have a few ich spots... very odd.

What a nightmare. :{

Darn it :(

I'd start dosing meds.

IF your fish are handling the temp ok and you have excellent aeration, I would try dosing for a moderate bacterial infection and bad ich.

In my tank there is high water flow from several filters so I have combined high heat and meds before to get rid of ich as quickly as possible. Generally otherwise not recommended. If the fish aren't handling the heat, I'd lower this gradually while meds dosing. The first night is hardest on them I find.

I'd skip the melafix and copper sulphate.

I'd dose triple sulpha which will help with the bacterial infection plus ich. Don't dose copper sulphate and triple sulpha together (just in case).

Also dose malachite green / formalin for ich (plus some bacterial help) eg seachem paraguard. Try a half dose first as fish are stressed.

Thinking back I have used triple sulpha with MB / MG / acriflavine (general cure) so that should be ok but too much gasping or rolling over and I'd do a water change. It sounds as if your at the point of losing fish anyway so I'd try this in the hope of saving some.

Other option would be to lift temp a couple of degrees more (just to make sure no cold spots in tank) and then it is waiting the ich out.

Back
Top Bottom