All my fish are dying :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
So last night i noticed that a couple of my red devils had died in my 10g, now they are only about an inch long and i had 6 in there... this morning all 6 had died. Tested the water, everything checked out, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25... Also noticed that my 30g with 4 bala sharks had a bala acting wierd floating upside down, standing vertical, then swimming around like nothing was wrong. Checked the water params, everything 0 except nitrates which were 30... did a 50% pwc just in case. This morning one was dead and the other 3 acting the way it was last night. They are still alive but have what i consider fuzz on them kind of... looks kind of like a "lougie" but just like little strands.... I dont know if it was related but i also had an auratus die in my 150... Water params are fine in it and none of the fish are unhealthy looking, they all appear normal. Ive had the balas since the beginning and they have never acted like this. Nothing has changed in the apartment either, temp the same, no pesticides, no chemicals, nothing... Ive googled ich, doesnt look like that, googled fungal infections, cant find anything that looks like the "fuzz" and i cant get a picture because its actually really hard to see... i can almost describe it as the way a fish kind of looks when it dies and sits in the water for a while... any help? im getting so frustrated i dont know what to do. I dont want any more fish to die :( Any help would be greatly appreciated

You are in an apartment, so there's a good chance you are on city water. Are you adding dechlorinator to the tank? Also, your nitrates aren't helping anything sitting at 25ppm. Go do a 50% water change.

I did a 50% pwc last night, and around 60% today... the nitrates are down to 10ppm now... and i use prime, and temp match the water too.

I'd do a couple of dip baths. First I'd get a small bottle of Quick Cure for Ich, which contains formalin and malachite green. Do a bath of this for 20 minutes. Use 5 times the recommended doseage in a bucket or smaller tank for the dip. This will kill off any external parasites.

Secondly I'd do a salt dip for 20 minutes. Have another tank and put 2 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons of water into that tank. Then put the fish in for the 20 minutes.

Monitor the fish during the bath/dip process. If they look worse than they did before you put them in you may need to put them into a bucket of fresh water immediately. You will have to be the judge of that. Good luck and I hope this helps.

theyre all dead now :( the mbuna look good, i dont think whatever killed the others is in that tank. I havent put anything in the mbuna tank from any of the others so im crossing my fingers that nothing will happen there. Thanks for the suggestions, and if i notice anything wierd in the 150, ill definately start treating immediately, i think the auratus dying was just simply a fluke, because only one of the fish died, and none of the others seem affected. Ill keep you guys posted, and once again, thanks for the suggestions.

Throw away all the filter media. Clean all the filters, including the pipes and cases, all the glass, if you are keeping the substrate, I would soak it really good. Personally I would throw out the substrate too and clean every thing else with water/ammonia or water/vinegar and then water/prime, then let air dry for a few days before you do anything with it. Sorry about all the losses. Keep a close eye on the Mbuna.

yeah im gonna ditch the pea gravel and either go with pfs or if rach lets me, go with sw... not sure yet, but im sure ill start a thread with what im going to do... just gotta get something she likes to replace the balas...

I agree with spoonman. Just to be safe i would probably lightly bleach all the tubing and everything from the filters too.

Dude... I'm so sorry! Maybe columnaris, but the only idea about it going between tanks is through net transfer. If we can ever help, let us know. PM me or SM. I'd cleanse any equipment (buckets, python, gravel vacs, etc) that came into contact with those tanks.

I would put it in a bucket or tub with water/vinegar solution and let it soak then into same bucket or tub with prime/water solution and let it soak. I do that, then i blow it out with an air compressor to dry it.

k, ill do that... im not sure what im going to do. I have to talk it over with my fiance and see what she wants to do since it is technically "her" tank... either pfs with her choice of fish or sw, not sure yet

Sterilize your equipment with potassium permanganate.

I'm telling you, you should have gone with discus. You don't need a substrate and fancy decorations. Now might be a great opportunity to look into them.

the same thing is happening with me... my parameters are good, but i've had a massive number of fish deaths.

Back
Top Bottom