All my fish died!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susandettmer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! I have a 46g bow front tank. Waited until tank was cycled before adding fish. I had some glo light tetras, neon tetras, 3 small corydoras, a few glofish danios & tetras and 3 Nerite snails. Things were great for 2 months. Always did weekly partial water changes, and have an API test kit. Levels were alwAys fine, temp at 77, and I have a Fluval 70. Decided Friday to buy a 2nd Fluval 70 so it would filter "dead zones". Installed it on the opposite side of the rest of the tank. A week before that my Nerite snails died. Didn't think much of it, the fish all looked great. So the day after (Saturday evening), I bought 3 fancy guppies, a few very tiny red cherry shrimp & 2 Nerite snails. Stupidly poured the bag water in my tank! I noticed the tiny shrimp immediately were snacks for the fish ( these shrimp were itty bitty. )Sunday night the guppies, & Nerite snails were dead. This morning EVERY fish was dead!!!!!! What the heck could have killed them in 48 hrs? My fish looked perfect Friday! Last night their eyes looked cloudy, one Cory was freaking out rushing up & down the tank, the other fish, the bodies were looking cloudy. Not Ich spots. Whole body cloudiness right before they died. They were perfectly bright a colorful Friday. Was it a new additional filter? Diseased fish or tank water? The guppies looked healthy when I bought them Saturday..... Not sure if I should drain the whole empty tank now, get new gravel etc? Ammonia is fine, no nitrites or nitrates.......

That's pretty weird. You might just try a few more guppies If the water seems to test OK. Maybe whatever killed the last lot has passed.

It was so odd! Everything had been perfectly fine! The fish were lively & vibrant in color until I put in the 2nd filter & bought the snails & guppies. 48 hrs everything dead including my snails! The fish became pale Saturday night, looked in distress, eyes cloudy, all dead this morning! Probably 24 fish dead!

Just a thought , check and see if a piece of equipment is leaking electricity in tank . Use a voltmeter if you have one . Only other thing I could think of is maybe a chemical residue in/on new filter ?

I'll have to buy one to see. That wouldn't really explain the 48 hours of the fish losing color and eyes going cloudy though. I'm wondering if it was the new filter. I rinsed it but should I have washed it with something? I rinsed the sponge etc and filled with de chlorinated water

If indeed it was some chemical poisoning from the brand new filter, should I empty the entire tank and remove this filter? Can you have too much filtration? I now have 2 Fluval 70s in a 46g bow front because it appeared I had dead zones is why I bought a 2nd one. I also have a bubbler which I've had from day one. All equipment was bought new 3 months ago and the 2nd Fluval I bought Friday evening, rinsed it and put it in.

I really doubt that a new hob powerfilter killed the tank inhabitants.
Charcol would take care of the from a cheical standpoint.
Like the man said just try a few guppies and if after a couple weeks all seems good, go ahead and add your favorite kind of new fish.
Some things in this hobby we just cant explain, but im pretty confident if wasnt your new filter or simply pouring a cup or two of pet store fishtank water into your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom