All my pond fish are covered in large white spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just had my favorite koi die from whatever this is and I thought it was dropsy due to a large bulge he'd developed and I never noticed he had large white spots on him. He was metalic silver colored. Now all my pond fish have this. This is a nightmare. I just want my fish to be healthy. Please somebody help. I'm posting pictures asap. I only have water testing strips and I dont know how large my pond is.

img_1976514_0_51900443c545a495e7e5fe6dec9fd6cc.jpg

This is the worst of them. I wish I'd noticed sooner....I'd never had any health problems with my fish before. We recently cleaned out our pond. There was a ton of mud at the bottom and we took out the fish emptied the pond and removed the mud and refilled it. We also removed alot of the dead plants. Could this have caused all this sudden sickness?

Miyavp said:
This is the worst of them. I wish I'd noticed sooner....I'd never had any health problems with my fish before. We recently cleaned out our pond. There was a ton of mud at the bottom and we took out the fish emptied the pond and removed the mud and refilled it. We also removed alot of the dead plants. Could this have caused all this sudden sickness?

Any sudden changes could have triggered this illness. In a 20g L I had 2 med sized orandas and a comet. After removing several clumps of water lettuce a recent water change (maybe I did not use enough declhor or match the temp) the fish became lethargic for a few days and then it seems over night was heavily covered in similar white clumps. Used Ich Attach or Rid-Ich immediately but both fish died in the next two days. The comet lost most of its tail but is recovering. This product is supposed to be natural and safe for the BF. not sure if root cause is bacterial, fungal or viral.

Ich is the size of salt grains, yours looks larger. Fungus maybe? The stress of such a big change could have lowered their immunity and something could have gotten stirred up when you removed the mud.

Ich typically has a finer powdery appearance. This looks fungal (I'm not a vet). The product label for Ich Attack says it is for use against Ich, protozoan, fungus, and dinoflagellates. Interestingly, on a more recently purchased bottle, the words fungus is not used.

The rest of my fish have smaller spots. I've had ick in my tank before but I cant tell.

Hi! The fish in the picture definitely has fungus and likely has a bacterial infection as well. Fungus is opportunistic and usually only affects fish that already have a bacterial infection or have suppressed immunity from poor water conditions. The over zealous cleaning most likely threw your ponds water parameters out of balance. I would suggest atleast taking a sample of water to be tested at your lfs. I'm not home so I don't have any of my links but I would suggest checking out some pond suppliers for a decent antibacterial/anti fungal pond treatment as well as some water changes.

I am not personally familiar with product but if it says it treats bacterial & fungus, then it's worth a try.

I went to the pet store yesterday and when I asked the guy for an bacterial anti fungal that's what he gave me. It was a specialty aquarium store in one of the larger cities nearby so I hope it works. I'm worried its going to effect the frogs living in the pond tho.

So one of the fish had a black looking stuff on it which is going away but the white stuff hasnt changed yet. The medicine says redose in seven days if symptoms are still shown

Can you describe the black areas? Are they spots, raised, fuzzy or just simply discolored black areas on the fins/body? Likely, its just ammonia burns.

Kinda like little pin pricks. Not raised of fuzzy tho just colored. There going away though. Although I checked my water levels not to long ago with the strips my dad bought me and the water was a little acidic but otherwise very healthy. I live right by a rain forest and the ocean so the water is naturally a little acidic.

Back
Top Bottom