Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All my pond fish are covered in large white spots

I just had my favorite koi die from whatever this is and I thought it was dropsy due to a large bulge he'd developed and I never noticed he had large white spots on him. He was metalic silver colored. Now all my pond fish have this. This is a nightmare. I just want my fish to be healthy. Please somebody help. I'm posting pictures asap. I only have water testing strips and I dont know how large my pond is.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is the worst of them. I wish I'd noticed sooner....I'd never had any health problems with my fish before. We recently cleaned out our pond. There was a ton of mud at the bottom and we took out the fish emptied the pond and removed the mud and refilled it. We also removed alot of the dead plants. Could this have caused all this sudden sickness?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavp
This is the worst of them. I wish I'd noticed sooner....I'd never had any health problems with my fish before. We recently cleaned out our pond. There was a ton of mud at the bottom and we took out the fish emptied the pond and removed the mud and refilled it. We also removed alot of the dead plants. Could this have caused all this sudden sickness?
Any sudden changes could have triggered this illness. In a 20g L I had 2 med sized orandas and a comet. After removing several clumps of water lettuce a recent water change (maybe I did not use enough declhor or match the temp) the fish became lethargic for a few days and then it seems over night was heavily covered in similar white clumps. Used Ich Attach or Rid-Ich immediately but both fish died in the next two days. The comet lost most of its tail but is recovering. This product is supposed to be natural and safe for the BF. not sure if root cause is bacterial, fungal or viral.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So do you think this is ick??
Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ich is the size of salt grains, yours looks larger. Fungus maybe? The stress of such a big change could have lowered their immunity and something could have gotten stirred up when you removed the mud.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ich typically has a finer powdery appearance. This looks fungal (I'm not a vet). The product label for Ich Attack says it is for use against Ich, protozoan, fungus, and dinoflagellates. Interestingly, on a more recently purchased bottle, the words fungus is not used.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The rest of my fish have smaller spots. I've had ick in my tank before but I cant tell.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Hi! The fish in the picture definitely has fungus and likely has a bacterial infection as well. Fungus is opportunistic and usually only affects fish that already have a bacterial infection or have suppressed immunity from poor water conditions. The over zealous cleaning most likely threw your ponds water parameters out of balance. I would suggest atleast taking a sample of water to be tested at your lfs. I'm not home so I don't have any of my links but I would suggest checking out some pond suppliers for a decent antibacterial/anti fungal pond treatment as well as some water changes.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would tetra pond, pond fish care work??

Tags
covered, fish, large, pond, white, white spots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com