All of my fish are going to die....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
All of the battery powered air pumps are sold out and with the hurricane coming there will mostly likely be a power outage down here in Charleston, South Carolina. The hurricane is gonna come right along the coast. Bad news for my fish. I'm gonna have two tanks of dead fish but with two african dwarf frogs! They won't die....

maybe you have or can find a computer UPS. You should be able to run a hob or canister a long time with one.
Or a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter. You could then run a pump on a car battery.

A watering can with the wide rain shower heads can be used to manually aerate.

Good luck in the storm.

Last summer we had Isabel and my power was out for 6 days - I did not lose any fish - it can be done!

What you are going to need to do is keep the water moving by hand, which means getting a container and scooping up water then pouring it back in so there is lots of splashing. Do this several times as often as you can, but it can be just every hour or so.

If you have an HOB filter, take the top off and pour the water back in through the filter so you can hopefully save the bacteria present there. If you have a canister it is tricky, but possible to raise the canister above the water level of the tank, remove the lid and pour water through the canister- this means the cruddy particles might get forced back into the tank so it might be wise to rinse it out in dechlor water first.

Good luck and after watching the Weather Channel this AM I really hope you can still get online - People did not fare well in FL so keep yourself safe first!

yeah, honestly. You could go a long time in florida without a heater and a filter isn't really all that important if you keep the water clean. I assume you'll be able to keep up partial water changes. Buy some large bottles of RO water beforehand and manually keep the water moving.

Great! Nothing happened here. It just passed by. Lots of rain and very windy but nothing damaged and no power outage in my area! But there is a tropical depression out there that might do the same thing as charley.

Back
Top Bottom