ALOT OF FACTORS... the best treatment route??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that is what they were describing, Kingfisher. This is in a 55 gallon tank, right? So the 11 tsp is dosing for the water being added not the volume of the tank.

If that's correct than yes, that should do it. And continue to dose at that level of salt/gallon with each water change

I think that is what they were describing, Kingfisher. This is in a 55 gallon tank, right? So the 11 tsp is dosing for the water being added not the volume of the tank.

If that's correct than yes, that should do it. And continue to dose at that level of salt/gallon with each water change
Aww yes. Sorry. I misunderstood that

Correct this is for the 55 gal, also I use the python water changer to do water changes so I dissolve the salt in another container while I change the water then gradually pour in the container with dissolved salt immediately after the water change. Or would it be better to pour in the dissolved salt while filling up the tank? <- only if I had 6 arms >. <

Correct this is for the 55 gal, also I use the python water changer to do water changes so I dissolve the salt in another container while I change the water then gradually pour in the container with dissolved salt immediately after the water change. Or would it be better to pour in the dissolved salt while filling up the tank? <- only if I had 6 arms >. <
I'd just dissolve it in whatever container you use to do your water change and add it to the tank. If you are using a python to add water to the tank I'd advise you stop that. The python is known to grow mold inside the tubing from normal use and not something you want to run water through and into the tank.

Well crap.... the top of my tank is pretty high, to high for using a big bucket to put water back in

Pythons definitely can grow mold but they are also a great tool and easy enough to clean. Run some bleach through then run water with an overdose of prime and let it dry it out every once in a while. After I bleach mine I add a few drops of prime to the tank before my next water change just in case of any residual chlorine, (which there shouldn’t be after running prime through the system and drying out, but just in case.)

Pythons definitely can grow mold but they are also a great tool and easy enough to clean. Run some bleach through then run water with an overdose of prime and let it dry it out every once in a while. After I bleach mine I add a few drops of prime to the tank before my next water change just in case of any residual chlorine, (which there shouldn’t be after running prime through the system and drying out, but just in case.)
Would vinegar work as well??

If you got the money get you a 20 or 30 gallon plastic shop trash can, a small pump and a hose. Fill the can with water, treat it with dechlorinator, and pump it into the tank.

Would vinegar work as well??

Probanly, you’d have to neutralize vinegar with something else. It seems strange but I actually choose bleach because ironically I consider it safer because I know exactly how to neutralize it.

Hydrogen peroxide would do it too with no rinsing required but it needs a longer contact time than bleach so it doesn’t work as well as a rinse through. I suspect vinegar would need a longer contact time than bleach as well.

My point is that yes you can try to set something up with shorter hoses that are not as prone to staying damp but there is also nothing wrong with just using the equipment you have, knowing you may occasionally have to clean it out.

Side note: in the years I’ve been using that system I think I’ve only needed to clean it out a couple times. Remember, tap water that you are running back into the tank does have clhhlorines in it already which do prevent too much from growing in there

Probanly, you’d have to neutralize vinegar with something else. It seems strange but I actually choose bleach because ironically I consider it safer because I know exactly how to neutralize it.

Hydrogen peroxide would do it too with no rinsing required but it needs a longer contact time than bleach so it doesn’t work as well as a rinse through. I suspect vinegar would need a longer contact time than bleach as well.

My point is that yes you can try to set something up with shorter hoses that are not as prone to staying damp but there is also nothing wrong with just using the equipment you have, knowing you may occasionally have to clean it out.

Side note: in the years I’ve been using that system I think I’ve only needed to clean it out a couple times. Remember, tap water that you are running back into the tank does have clhhlorines in it already which do prevent too much from growing in there
Ironically!!! Thats why Ive been scared to use bleach!! only have used vinegar since its more "organic" than bleach. Lol, however id love to learn more on how to use bleach around fish.... care to elaborate on how to use bleach correctly??

I use bleach in my python I let it sit for a while, then I just rinse it by running water through it and then I hang it up until the next water change.

Bleach isn't as scary as you think so long as you're cognizant of what you're doing. Anytime I bleach anything that's going to go into the tank I just make sure I rinse it in water with extra prime after and that neutralizes all the chlorine. You can also just let it dry out to ensure the bleach is all gone.

There's only a couple things you can do wrong with bleach.
One is forgetting that you have bleach on your fingers and touching your tank water. (I make sure to soak my hands in the prime water too and I do any bleaching I need to do at the end of the day anyway so I won't have any need to touch the tank water for a while.)

Second is getting a bleach with soap in it. Make sure you get plain thin bleach with no soaps or thickeners. Bleach rinses out easy but if you get "splashless" thickened bleach it will leave a soapy residue which WILL be a problem. Avoid scents and 'splashless' and you're good to go.

Heck, I even bleach some of my hardier live plants from time to time. Anubias gets the worst spot algae on older leaves if you don't stay on top of your nutrients but a little bleach bath then a decholr bath can clean them right up.

I like the ideas on bleach here. The only issue I have with the python in pumping water back into your tank is that mold spores will be present before you can visually see it. By the time you see it you are looking at a colony of mold spores. I guess you could bleach it every couple months to make sure? Trial and error really but as Liberty pointed out she has been successful using this method.

Thank you libertybelle, i agree with you on the anubias, i usually rub the algae off with my fingers. Will use bleach once im confident, one more question regarding to bleach, if you can still smell it, does that mean the bleach hasnt been neutralized? Sorry if thats a wierd question, I can smell alot better than everyone on here due to my deafness, all my other senses increases in sensitivity.

I don't have a python, just use the traditional siphon and 5 gal. Bucket. I've been following the python, mold, bleach conversation. Just wanted to ask, are you sure the gunk stains in the pythons hose is mold, and not simply the common gunk and algae that accumulates inside filter intakes and canister hoses.
Even if some of the hose goo is mold; is mold exposure harmful to fish? I've never seen a colony of mold inside an aquarium before. Doesn't enough water flow outward through the stained hoses during the vacuuming to flush out any loose spores or debris?
I'm all for clean equipment, and if one wants spotless utility hoses; great, but are sterile siphons truly necessary?
Used tank water and a tube brush are all I ever use to clean my accessories. Just an educated guess, dirty, stained python hoses probably aren't harmful.

I don't have a python, just use the traditional siphon and 5 gal. Bucket. I've been following the python, mold, bleach conversation. Just wanted to ask, are you sure the gunk stains in the pythons hose is mold, and not simply the common gunk and algae that accumulates inside filter intakes and canister hoses.
Even if some of the hose goo is mold; is mold exposure harmful to fish? I've never seen a colony of mold inside an aquarium before. Doesn't enough water flow outward through the stained hoses during the vacuuming to flush out any loose spores or debris?
I'm all for clean equipment, and if one wants spotless utility hoses; great, but are sterile siphons truly necessary?
Used tank water and a tube brush are all I ever use to clean my accessories. Just an educated guess, dirty, stained python hoses probably aren't harmful.
Good point V.....algae maybe?

I agree V. I do it every once in a while not because I'm truly worried about the mold/algae etc. but more just because I prefer the hoses to look clean. I don't have a place I can put it away where it's really out of sight so every once in a while I clean it out.

(This isn't the case if you are using the hose for more than one tank and one tank has an illness. In that case I absolutely would clean for the purposes of sterility, of course.)

As far as bleach goes, yes, if you can still smell bleach it is not fully neutralized. For anything that is hardscape that I clean with bleach I usually just let it dry out to be sure. It's a lifesaver on spot algae.

If you are using prime to neutralize the bleach you may smell a different kind of sulfur-y smell. That's okay. That's just the prime. As long as it doesn't smell like the pool, you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom