am I being paranoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My rasboras look great have better color than ever, one of them though has this blister looking thing just under its mouth, it was big-ish then went way down, It does not look like any pictures of mouth fungus I have seen. I was looking at my angel fish and it has some white around its mouth but I don't know if its fungus or its natural coloring. Its a black and white angel, marble is what I think it is. My question is, should I move these fish back into the qt? I hate to medicate for something they dont have. would it a bad thing to just let them be for a few more days, and see if anything else developes?

8O

Do you ever catch a break?
What was the illness last time?
What are your current water parameters, including pH?

You sound like me, Merideth. I come home and immediately I'm going "ohmygod,whatsthat?!ich??" or "ohno,whatsalltheselittlethingsinthewater?? wait, just air bubbles"...

I have an orange angelfish, and it's got a bit of white around it's mouth, too. A little black, as well. I, too, wonder if I'm paranoid about things that may have always been a certain way. Some days you just suddenly "notice." Good luck!

lol! that is SO me! :lol: ok my params: ammo 0, ph 7.8, kh between 120and 180, gh 150, nitrite 0, nitrate 20. I did a 20% water change on sunday, getting ready to do another small water change today, mainly just to suck up the extra crud accumulating on the bottom. The hardest part of this is not being able to tell for sure. I wish I had a better camera, and these guys dont hold still for a minute, its hard to get a close look. OH also I want to know if fish yawn. My angel does this more than the other fish, he opens his mouth wide and stretches it out. Looks like he is yawning. I think I am just going to keep doing small water changes, for a few days and if there is no change, I will move them.

update AAAAHHHH

well, I think I screwed up! About a day after I posted the original, I was pretty sure my rasbora had (has) mouth fungus. I already had the betta in the ten gallon at this point ( more on this in a sec) SO I decided to just go ahead and treat the whole stink'n 55 with melafix, because I thought maybe the angel had mouth fungus too and the other rasbora as well. when the fish were being treated before, they seemed to be ok. I have been doing 25% daily water changes (a pain in the a#@) I am seeing NO improvement in the one rasbora who I can tell has SOMETHING white on the very tip of his mouth.(they have had 4 doses so far) I am pretty sure its fungus. I should have NEVER brought the betta home. I thought it looked a little "funny" when I got him, but I thougt it was his coloring or something, but on closer inspection, he doesn't look right at all, looks like broken vessels on his face and spider or varicose veins on his tail. He is pinkish which is why I cant really tell if its bad or not. Do I take him back or try and treat him myself? AND I am sick AGAIN!! What do I do??? I think my plan at this moment is to take the betta back and change the water in the ten gallon, move the rasboras into it and treat them with something stronger than melafix. I am going CRAZY!!!!

well I got the rasboras moved to the qt, (the betta is not in there anymore) a big water change in the 55 more carbon to filter out meds. What ever was on the rasboras mouth scraped off in the move, but I am treating with an anti bacterial med ( cant remember what it is called at the moment its from Jungle I think) and I am keeping them in there for a few weeks. I hope this is the end of the sickness for a while.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on--I read too fast, but the one thing that jumped out at me--do not treat bettas with melafix! There is a product called bettafix which is okay and bettamax is even better.

I am not treating the betta. I have until wed to take him back. I moved him to a one gallon "tank", until I either take him back or get him a 5 gallon tank. I have just been doing daily water changes for him. He seems perky enough.

Back
Top Bottom