Am i doing the right thing keeping them alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skystag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
on sunday, the unthinkable happened. my 65 gallon cracked open at 5:30 am with no warning. thinking quick, i managed to save all 5 goldfish and all 7 snails, with minimal damage to the 2nd floor... but there's a catch. when i was saving the goldfish, one was caught in the broken glass by its tail. i still saved it, and was hoping the wound would start to look better over time, but it's only looking worse by the day! on day one, there was only a gash at the base of his tail, and his tail was red as if coated in blood... now it looks even worse, white stuff around the wound and his tail somehow shredding itself!!! am i doing the right thing keeping him alive and suffering? i love him, and i just want to do what's best for him, even if it hurts me. pictures attached:

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 96
Sorry to hear about your ordeal, I don't have much experience with this, but I would start by changing water often. Good clean water will help with the healing, I believe I would do a big change now (25-30%?) and smaller ones every day afterwards. Others may have experience I don't but this will at least get you started.

Maybe google torn Fin treatment, not sure what's out there. Will search for anything to help,

thank you for the suggestions. i'm also having to restart my cycle due to a new tank, will doing more water changes harm that? i'm using the same filter but different gravel due to my parents refusing to let pink gravel be downstairs :(
it may sound heartless but i might have to consider the many over the few if it comes down to it, and i don't want the rest getting sick of ammonia...

edit: just checked on him, and he's barely moving unless i drop in food... when he swims he does so mainly with his body. i'm starting to wonder if this is something he can even recover from :(

If you're using the old filter in the new tank, should cycle really quickly because the bacteria is present in the old filter.

Poor thing. That's a pretty serious trauma.

The discoloration is a bruise. You aren't looking at blood through lots of skin and fat, so, yeah, it's bleeding. It's just that the bleeding is on the inside.

Is the white external? Like fluffy? Or is it that the color has left the fin. I would worry about necrosis. An antifungal treatment would be good right now.

So sorry to hear you're going through this.

its external, yeah, pretty much right next to the wound. im worried that's whats happening to the tail, that it's so bad it's just dying... for anti fungal, i have methelyne blue i can use as a dip, but in this situation i dont have the money for a quarantine tank and im worried the constant dips would stress him out more than needed. but if you recommend it, ill try my best. if in a couple days the tail continues to become discolored and torn, can i assume necrosis? and if so, can he continue living like this, or is euthenasia more humane? thank you for the empathy. it's a very stressful time right now.

Methylene blue is a really good antifungal, and you certainly don't need constant dips. I'm actually not sure how often you should do dips... I've either used it in the quarantine or for a single bath.

Fungal infections can be pretty extensive, so it's possible that fraying and discoloration is from that.

Whether you euthanize is up to you. You are the one who can see the extent to which the fish is suffering.

We had a snail attempt escape. Rather, it was a very successful escape with a bounce off the table onto the floor. I was sure she wouldn't make it, but I love her and did everything I could go help her through it. Six months later, she runs the entire 29 gallon tank.

So keep posting pictures. We'll help you sort through what's going on.

honestly, thank you so much for the support. tomorrow i'll start doing methelyne blue dips with him and see if that improves his condition.

i wish i was updating with good news. unfortunately, the situation has only gotten worse. the wound is even more white, and im not entirely sure whether it's actually fungus, or dead fin. the entire top of his tail fin is gone and i fear that more will go as the days go by. he only moves out of the corner with the bubbler if i feed them, in which case he leaves to eat a bit and goes back to his corner. it breaks my heart to see him like this. i don't know what the right answer is. i don't know if he can even heal from this, and grow his tail back. i want to do what's right, but i don't know what the right thing is. pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 61
One you could look into is below. Should be more effective than MB and will cover fungal/bacterial. If most of the tail can be saved should be ok. Not sure if that top portion will grow back - looks pretty deep.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fungus-guard-tabs-8pk

'Contains two antibiotics as Furan 2 (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. The Kdichromate is a strong oxidizer.'

unfortunately, this will be my last update. i've made the choice to put down shere khan after i woke up this morning, as he had become more lethargic and almost all of his tail was gone. it breaks my heart, but i hope what i did was the best to end his suffering.

The wound looks like it was very close to the body, and probably irrecoverable.

I know it sucks, but, I think you did the right thing.

And look at why it happened, and what would have happened had you been out at the time.

You saved a bunch of fish from a disastrous situation. I know you lost one, but luck, timing, and your quick action saved several others from otherwise certain death.

Back
Top Bottom