Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guggiboy123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I seem to have a ammonia problem in on of my tanks what are some good strategies to get rid of it

Guggiboy123 said:
Hey guys I seem to have a ammonia problem in on of my tanks what are some good strategies to get rid of it

How big of a tank? How many fish? How old is the tank? How high is your ammonia? What kind of a test are you using, strips or liquid? And to answer your question - BIG WATER CHANGES! On my cycled tank I do about 50% weekly, on the 2 cycling tanks I've been doing 50%+ about very other day sometimes every day and the other day I had to do 2 on my fish in cycling 10g tank. Test water daily until it stays .25 & stays that low for several days then you can test less often. Make sure you add water conditioner with each water change.

shellieca said:
How big of a tank? How many fish? How old is the tank? How high is your ammonia? What kind of a test are you using, strips or liquid? And to answer your question - BIG WATER CHANGES! On my cycled tank I do about 50% weekly, on the 2 cycling tanks I've been doing 50%+ about very other day sometimes every day and the other day I had to do 2 on my fish in cycling 10g tank. Test water daily until it stays .25 & stays that low for several days then you can test less often. Make sure you add water conditioner with each water change.

I just bought it from Craigslist hadn't put any fish in there... I brought it in to the pet shop and they tested it with a strip and said the ammonia is as high as the test would go

Guggiboy123 said:
I just bought it from Craigslist hadn't put any fish in there... I brought it in to the pet shop and they tested it with a strip and said the ammonia is as high as the test would go

Good that there's no fish. :) So did you add any ammonia for it to be that high? My suggestion is to purchase the API Master Test Kit because you are going to want to test pretty much daily & do water changes as needed per your test results. The strips are not all that accurate, you can get the test kit online for probably less than at your LFS. Also you may want to test your tap water to see what the parameters are so you know where you're starting from, it's possible your source water has ammonia. I wouldn't add any fish, it can take 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. I'm on going on week 5 for a fish in cycle & I'm so ready for it to be done.

shellieca said:
Good that there's no fish. :) So did you add any ammonia for it to be that high? My suggestion is to purchase the API Master Test Kit because you are going to want to test pretty much daily & do water changes as needed per your test results. The strips are not all that accurate, you can get the test kit online for probably less than at your LFS. Also you may want to test your tap water to see what the parameters are so you know where you're starting from, it's possible your source water has ammonia. I wouldn't add any fish, it can take 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. I'm on going on week 5 for a fish in cycle & I'm so ready for it to be done.

Ok thank u for the advice

So just to be clear, you're doing a fishless cycle right?
You need to get your own liquid test kit. And when doing a fishless cycle, try to only dose the ammonia to 4ppm. If its higher than that, do a water change. What is your ammonia source?

paytertot said:
So just to be clear, you're doing a fishless cycle right?
You need to get your own liquid test kit. And when doing a fishless cycle, try to only dose the ammonia to 4ppm. If its higher than that, do a water change. What is your ammonia source?

I think it is from old goldfish Tht were in there b4 I bought it I'm going to get the water tested again in a fe mins

Back
Top Bottom