Ammonia Alert vs. Master Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teetsymomo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had the Ammonia Alert detector in my tank for well over two weeks. It stated my ammonia levels were safe. Today, I purchased the Master Test Kit, and according to the test (I did it twice) it stated my ammonia level was at 2.0. I wanted to make sure that the Ammonia Alert detector was actually working, so I placed it in a glass of water with some Lysol and BAMM! it went toxic. I'm finding this quite odd and I'm not sure what product to trust. I was totally freaked out earlier when the test came back positive. I'm going to PetSmart tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to test my water for ammonia, but in the interim, I'm so confused, I don't know what to trust.

Welcome to AA!

If the master test kit you're referring to is the API Freshwater Master, trust that over the Ammonia Alert. Those in-tank measuring devices only work for a limited time and the liquid reagent kit will be more accurate. Read the directions on the API kit well and perform the test. Try it again to get repeatable results.

Welcome to AA!

I agree with Jim. Those alerts wear out over time and lose their ability to detect lower levels of ammonia. Placing it in an ammonia based cleaning product that has very high levels of course it's going to trigger.

The API test kit is really good, definately trust that one.

I use both the ammonia alert (I use the mardel brand) and the API liquid. I have never seen a difference that big (2ppm vs 0pmm). I have had cases where the liquid test will show slightly below 0.25ppm and the in tank strip will read "safe". Like everyone says, I would trust the liquid over the strip.

Back
Top Bottom