Ammonia burned gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone had any success treating burned gills? I have a Red Eye Tetra in a tank. I am dripping fresh water in with Melafix and Stress Coat. I had .5 ammonia at the highest but had a pH spike and he started swimming aimlessly and his gills were red.

Since dripping he has started eating again and swimming well. I'm not sure if he is blind. I feel terrible. Anyway is there any method to treat burned gills? So far all I have found is treating with a gram positive and gram negative antibiotic (was thinking Maracyn and Maracyn 2) but it seems like that is just to stop bacterial infections that may happen because the burned gills. Id love to save this guy. Any advice?

Thanks.
Jana

Wow you've been having a tough couple of weeks, sorry to hear more troubles.

I'd increase aeration in the tank due to potential damage to gills, try increase dissolved oxygen levels.

Dose with good old aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Perform daily water changes in excess of 50%, then replace the salt you've removing during the water change.

Watch for any secondary infection, this is where the medication would come into play. And hopefully within a week or so you start seeing improvement.

Last edited:
Question if I am upping the salt can I use melafix with that or should I stop the melafix?

I'm not sure I've ever used it and from what I see it is pointless so why bother with salt but wanted another opinion. Thanks!

I think Melafix/Pimafix are worthless, I'd discontinue use and keep up with the water changes/salt/increased aeration.

I would make sure all of your fish can handle AQ Salt before you add it.

It is a Red Eye Tetra. I THINK I can go as high as one tsp per gallon (or have before with neons). I can't find any specifics online though.

Has anyone had any success treating burned gills? I have a Red Eye Tetra in a tank. I am dripping fresh water in with Melafix and Stress Coat. I had .5 ammonia at the highest but had a pH spike and he started swimming aimlessly and his gills were red.

Since dripping he has started eating again and swimming well. I'm not sure if he is blind. I feel terrible. Anyway is there any method to treat burned gills? So far all I have found is treating with a gram positive and gram negative antibiotic (was thinking Maracyn and Maracyn 2) but it seems like that is just to stop bacterial infections that may happen because the burned gills. Id love to save this guy. Any advice?

Thanks.
Jana

Hello J...

Sorry about the accident, but mistakes in tank management happen even to the most experienced water keeper. The gill damage is likely permanent and this damage will definitely shorten the fish's life.

All you can do, is keep the water extremely clean by changing out half the tank's volume every week and add some frozen foods to the diet. These are much healthier for your fish than the processed dry fish foods. You can also feed some minced garlic. Garlic is a natural food, high in vitamins. It's also a natural antibotic.

A stronger immune system will help keep the fish as healthy as possible.

B

Thanks B. I realize the mistake I made. Stupid but too late. Live and learn. So I think this guy is blind. I was feeding him frozen blood worms and he had trouble finding them. If he is blind can he just stay alone in a 10 gallon so he has food and stuff? Or should he be euthanized? Aside from being beat up he seems relaxed enough.

Do people keep blind fish?

Thanks again.

Fish Injury

Thanks B. I realize the mistake I made. Stupid but too late. Live and learn. So I think this guy is blind. I was feeding him frozen blood worms and he had trouble finding them. If he is blind can he just stay alone in a 10 gallon so he has food and stuff? Or should he be euthanized? Aside from being beat up he seems relaxed enough.

Do people keep blind fish?

Thanks again.

Hello again j...

If the fish is blind, then the other senses will improve. If the fish's sense of smell is unaffected, then it should be able to locate the food. Fish can go several days without food, so eventually, the fish will eat when it's hungary. It would be good to get some floating plants in your 10 G if there aren't any. Fish are more at home in a planted tank.

If the fish appears generally healthy in most respects, I'd take care of it. I don't "put down" fish. I take care of my water management job and leave the rest to nature.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Would you put him back in his school?

This damage on his tail fin is new. So I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• image-347364767.jpg
    image-347364767.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 230
Your Fish

Would you put him back in his school?

This damage on his tail fin is new. So I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.

Thanks all!

Hello again j...

When I take care of my fish, cats or anything else, I try to put myself in their place. So, since you're asking, I'd want to go back home. As long as the damage wasn't from some other fish or from the substrate, sharp decoration, etc. then put it back in the main tank.

Feed a healthy diet that includes various frozen fish food and do a good job of taking care of the tank, especially the water. In pure water conditions, the fish could get a little strength back.

B

Makes complete sense. I'll try. The group of 5 in my 75 are fine and bigger. They don't seem too nippy. This guys friends in the 10 gallon were nipping at him and each other a LOT but then the water was off. I will try to get him into the 75 with all the others when/if he gets healthy. Seems whatever is going on with that back fin is fast moving no fuzz or anything it just seems like rapid fin rot. It is disintegrating :( I started TC fingers crossed.

Thanks again! This tank keeps spiking. Ack!

Yay Red Eye is off of Meds and doing well. Guess I will watch him for a week or so then release him in the 75 :). Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom