Ammonia Poisoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jojoba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, just a bit of concern here. About 5 or 6 days ago I had a major ammonia spike in my nursery tank. I am usually on top of that tank, but I didn't check levels for about 4 days, it's a 10g with juvenile electric blue jack dempseys. I came home and noticed one of the juries was withdrawn. Checked the levels and 4.0ppm. Immediately did 60% water changes every 6 hours for 2 days and 25% changes for the last 3 days, levels are below 0.25ppm now. There is only one fish who is exhibiting signs of distress, his behavior is inconsistent, one minute very social, the next he is solo in the corner, then he is sprinting around the tank. Its pretty rAndom. No visual signs like inflamed gills or or sores or discoloration and I don't want to dispose of him until he is officially doing the back stroke. Will he get better or will this spastic behavior become permanent?

Thanks in advance.

I'm a little new to fish care myself but I've had a lot of problems with ammonia. In my limited experience I've noticed ammonia distress affecting the larger of my two fish more so than the smaller one, which kind of makes sense to me. With my fish the main trouble with ammonia spikes seems to come down to gill damage, after all the other wrinkles are ironed out. When they have trouble breathing due to gill damage they tend to spend a lot of time either resting in a spot where their tank-mates won't bother them or swimming at the surface trying to breathe the more oxygenated air.

As for what could have caused the spike you mentioned, I have had two goldfish in a ten gallon tank up until the the day I posted this reply, and the ammonia levels jump up pretty quick if I didn't make sure to change water on a weekly basis and use products like ammo-carb to keep everything in check. Depending on how many jacks you're keeping in that tank and how big they are, four days worth of build up could have done a number on the equilibrium in there.

Once I got my ammonia levels in check my fish seemed to bounce back for the most part, but from what I read they don't ever fully recover. The best you can do is keep the ammonia levels as close to zero as you can and hope the damage wasn't too severe.

Why is there ammonia in the tank? Do you not have a cycled filter in there? The first water change should have left only enough water to cover the fish, with them on their sides. You ammonia should be at 0.

The best thing you can do now for your fish is to make sure you are providing perfect water (0 amm, 0 nitrites, less than 20ppm nitrates) for them to recover. If that means large daily water changes to keep your water parmeters in check, then do it for the sake of your fish. They will recover in time!!! Just keep an eye on them (and your water parameters) and dont stress too much! If your one fish takes a turn for the worse, please let us know & we try to help!

BillD said:
Why is there ammonia in the tank? Do you not have a cycled filter in there? The first water change should have left only enough water to cover the fish, with them on their sides. You ammonia should be at 0.

Yes it's an established tank. Should I still empty all the way down to get bellow 0.25? Didn't think we ever wanted to do a 95% water change.

jlk said:
The best thing you can do now for your fish is to make sure you are providing perfect water (0 amm, 0 nitrites, less than 20ppm nitrates) for them to recover. If that means large daily water changes to keep your water parmeters in check, then do it for the sake of your fish. They will recover in time!!! Just keep an eye on them (and your water parameters) and dont stress too much! If your one fish takes a turn for the worse, please let us know & we try to help!

K. Thank you, I will continue with the water changes. This little 10g seems way more delicate than my 70 and 90. Also would I want to add mess to aid gill function?

K. Thank you, I will continue with the water changes. This little 10g seems way more delicate than my 70 and 90. Also would I want to add mess to aid gill function?[/QUOTE
You really should do back to back pwcs of 50% to get your numbers down to zero-this may take a few! Do not be afraid of them as long as your using a water conditioner & matching the temperature of your new water to that of the tank. Yes, your 10gal is ALOT more 'delicate' than your bigger tanks-its all about water dilution. The less water, the more concentrated any toxic chemicals become. They become toxic much quicker as well due to the lack of dilution. Just keep on top of everything (water testing & pwcs) so your fish can recover. Theres not much you can do if they have suffered permanent damage from the ammonia, however, and only time will tell-no need to add anything other than water conditioner! Good luck!

Oh yeah I forgot, there was a slight white film that appeared aswell.

jlk said:
A white film on the fish thats acting funny? Or on your tank?

On the tank glass, wipes easily. I can't believe this happens from 4 days of neglect due to being busy at work

Dont panic! Im actually glad its not the fish in question! Just wipe the film off with a paper towel when you do pwcs-it should come off easily and it should stay away with regular pwcs & keeping your water parameters in check!

No prob bro, I appreciate the input. Starting my weekly maintenance now

jlk said:
Good luck with your fish & hopefully to recover without incident! :)

Hey thanks for the advice. all is well now and it has almost completely recovered. It's almost hard to tell him from the rest of the school. Thx again

Back
Top Bottom