Ammonia removing filter media and ich medication.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nautilus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am isolating two fish in a small hospital tank for treating ich. I know that there should be no carbon in the filter during medication use. However, to spare fish from cycle, I would like to use"Zeolite" or other ammonia removing media in the filter. Is it OK to do that? Will ammonia removing media interfere with medication? Please share your opinion. Thank you for any suggestion.

I would not use anything in your filter that absorbs chemicals. What medication are you using to treat your fish? You can always do daily pwcs in your qt wich will help with the ammonia. How large is the tank you are taking them out of? And what else is in there?

Thank you for reply, Meredith.
I am using malachite green. I don't know if I should also treat the main tank. It is planted 29G, cycled, with other platys, Dwarf Neon Rainbows and cories. My QT is 2.5 gallon, and has 2 fish now. The treatment should be done every other day. Can I make daily water change without interrupting the treatment process? Is malachite green effective against ich? Thank you for advise.

I would also treat with salt and high temp, but would my fish tolerate 86F? Also the maing consern for me are cories. They might be too stressed with salt.

I have treated cories with heat and salt and they were fine. If you are very worried about the cories, QT them and treat the others for 2-3 weeks. Some fish never get ich (or rarely) and isolating the cories will allow you to treat them differently, if they need it.

Back
Top Bottom