anaerobic bacteria in my platy heeellllppppp!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrgolfball

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I came home from work today to find my oldest platy (1 1/2) years old, completely bloated up, she doesn't even fit in her scales anymore, I have tracked what she has down to anaerobic bacteria, but can not find anywhere on how to fix it, she is in a 20 gallon community aquarium with approx 12, other platies, all was good untill today she was fine yesturday , I did a partial water change about a week ago, I usually give them blood worms every few days but haven't given them to this tank in about a week or so, just after the water change. She is the only one with the problem... hhhheeelllppp anyone

mike

She has dropsy. Usually an internal infection that shuts down the kidney. You can try treating with a power antibiotic like Maracyn-Two, but to be honest with you, it it probably too late to save her. Dropsy is more times than most, incurable.

Sorry. :(

Take her out and put her in a seperate container. A large tupperware container would work, with an airstone if possible. If not, change the water every few hours. That way you can observe what is happening. She will likely die within a day or so, without medication, but I'd advise against flushing her alive. She'll just sit in the sewer and die then.

Back
Top Bottom