Angel Fish Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garc19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My angel fish (all 4 of them) seem to be having problems keeping their dorsal and ventral fins extended. Kind of look like willy from free willy. Their fins look limp. Otherwise the fish are quite healthy and eating voraciously. The water conditions are normal. I mix up the foods pretty regularly although mostly they get flakes. please help. I attached a pic although it is big.

Tank is a 35 Gallon tall.

temp - 75-78;
PH 6.5;
no ammonia; nitrite; nitrate;
hardness 0-2

7-8 tetras;
4 angels
4 cories
3 banjo cats
1 pleco

fake plants and rock

How big is the tank? How long have the fish been in there. What is "normal" for water conditions? It is helpful to give specific readings if you can. Thanks!

Did they used to have more erect fins, and now they are limp? If they have always been this way it may be a genetic flaw - some angels have twisted or slightly deformed fins, which is not at all a desirable trait but some breeders don't cull these and they are sold.

could it just be bad genetics? You said they were bought at different times, but if it was the same fish store, it could have come from the same breeder therefore the same blood lines.

was the same fish store which I usually do not buy at. BUt I will add that they were erect early on. So maybe, but seems unlikely. Plus one is a black marble the other three are of the gold type shall we say. Not impossible but probably not probable that they are from the same gene pool. This could be wishful thinking on my part.

Ok, then, if we can rule out genetics (important in fish like angels) then we need to assume this is a water quality issue.

No nitrate? That is not typical, but what is your maintenance routine? I'd go ahead and increase water changes and gravel vacs and try to reduce the DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) in the tank that may be impacting water quality. Maybe do 15% every other day for a week or 10 days and see if you see improvement in these guys. I am partial to angels so keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom