Angel fish issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, highly possible it's a wound from an attack. From this pic, I don't see inflamed red gills. In fact, they look a little pale so please confirm. It could just be the gill plate is a milky white color. Which fish was the aggressor?

The aggressor was "Chester" a regular koi Angel. It is now only him/her with one redhead koi alone in the tank.

A little Angelfish history time;) : In the beginning, Koi Angels were made from a number of genetic lines until they came up with a Blushing Gold Marble. That could explain the see through gill covering on your fish. Many other Koi strains have since been developed that don't have the blushing effect so it's not seen on all Kois. So we need to keep all this in mind when diagnosing. (y)
As for the use of the sponge filter in the hospital tank, it depends on the medication but some, mostly antibiotics, retard the beneficial bacteria bed so you want to confirm your med doesn't or it will just kill the sponge filter. When treating with most antibiotics, just use a bare tank and an airstone. The meds have you changing a small percentage of water during treatment so the biological isn't necessary at this point. Just check the package before using any medicines in a tank. (y)

I will have to google image the Blushing gold marble so I better understand.
I did check before the first application of meds and from what I read the Polyguard will not effect the Beneficial bacteria. But I do have extra sponge filters running in other tanks should the need arise.

Place the slate in front of the filter tube to encourage them to use it opposed to the filter tube. (y)

:banghead: Doh!! why did I not think of that? Hopefully they wait until I get home in the morning...

:banghead: Doh!! why did I not think of that? Hopefully they wait until I get home in the morning...

That just comes from experience. ;) Don't beat yourself too bad over it. :nono: I still miss some spawns because the fish use the glass when I forget ( or get lazy about) replacing their slates.:banghead::banghead: You just live and learn. (y)

Well thank you again. And you too up there in the balcony PoppaRyno.

I will update as the days go on, and I am sure I will have loads of new questions.

I think I have read almost all 54 pages of the Wigglers 2 thread (you sir, are on a whole different level. much respect to you) . But I thought I read somewhere that there was a "wigglers at last" or part 1 thread with tons of info from yourself.
Do you know if it still on here to be found?
I am sure there would be plenty of useful, time proven info; as well as answers to my MANY future questions in that thread.

Mike

Well thank you again. And you too up there in the balcony PoppaRyno.

I will update as the days go on, and I am sure I will have loads of new questions.

I think I have read almost all 54 pages of the Wigglers 2 thread (you sir, are on a whole different level. much respect to you) . But I thought I read somewhere that there was a "wigglers at last" or part 1 thread with tons of info from yourself.
Do you know if it still on here to be found?
I am sure there would be plenty of useful, time proven info; as well as answers to my MANY future questions in that thread.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Hope you are getting some good info from my thread. (y)
The original wigglers thread hopefully is still accessible. Just use the search link above and type in "Wigglers at last!!!" and you will need to go through the pages to find it. Hopefully, it is not too old that it has been replaced. If it has been, you may want to ask a moderator how to access the oldies. It is in the breeding forum.
I wish they would make it a sticky or put it somewhere where it can't be deleted. It truly does have just about everything one needs to know about breeding Angels within that thread. It's long enough to be a book and I'd hate to have to rewrite all that info again. :facepalm: ;)

You should see if they can put it in a pdf and send it to you for your own archival sake. That way you cld send the whole thing as a file.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not much new to report today. Very busy with non-fish stuff today so didn't get as much time as I would have liked to observe behaviours.

Did get the slate moved to hopefully discourage the 2 from using the filter tube. If I had more time today I would have just removed the HOB filter and added a second sponge filter.

I think (not sure) Chester may be my female (thought it was the male). As she appears to be "plumping" up in the belly region and the breeding tube looks more "blunt" or rounded compared to that of the other fish which seems more pointed. Will have to wait and see to 100% sure.

The others in the 15g seem to be doing fine. The "injured" appears about the same, definitely not any worse. So hopefully on the road to recovery.

I did find the other Wigglers thread and will be busy reading for a while:thanks:

Update

Its been about two weeks since I started treatment, and after having to separate the group because of the breeding pair I continued the treatment just to make sure.

Happy to report the fish is doing excellent. He is eating like a champ and seems to have adjusted to the new tank (which is in a quieter part of the house).

The mark on his face seems to be getting smaller by the day and he has had no other symptoms of any illness or stress.

Update

Its been about two weeks since I started treatment, and after having to separate the group because of the breeding pair I continued the treatment just to make sure.

Happy to report the fish is doing excellent. He is eating like a champ and seems to have adjusted to the new tank (which is in a quieter part of the house).

The mark on his face seems to be getting smaller by the day and he has had no other symptoms of any illness or stress.

Well these are all good signs to a complete recovery. (y)(y)

Well someone is feeling much better.
Friday morning I found my healed up angel and tankmate furiously tending to a whack of new eggs. Unfortunately within hours they started turning white, and by Saturday morning all had turned.:(

I thought the 2 in this this tank were both female and at this point I am not sure who actually laid the eggs, but both were actively guarding and fanning the eggs.

Does it happen where 2 females in a tank still lay eggs? I believe I read that somewhere in the "wigglers at last" thread.

Yes siree. 2 females will indeed pair up. Can you tell if the eggs are fertilized?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am not sure as they all turned white within 24hrs. Either they never got fertilized, or as this would be their first attempt at breeding they just didn't get it right.

Hopefully I will catch them in the act next time.

+1 to Poppa. ;)
In fact, my very first breeding pair of Angelfish was 2 females. They laid a huge amount of eggs but obviously, nothing ever came of them :( You need to see them spawning or with tubes out to know for sure if they are M/F or F/F.
Just an FYI: I've had first time spawners have 100% success on their first spawns ( hatched eggs and swimming fry) so not every pair needs to "Get it right." ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom