Angel Fish Nose Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Designer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have high level of Nitrate and I put in Prime conditioner last night and notice my Angel Fish swimming with her nose up today. Her fins are moving. Up to today, she was swimming fine and eating. I also saw her hide. I do have other fish in the 30 gallon fresh water aquarium.

Is it sitting at the surface with it's nose up?

Did you do a couple 50% water changes to lower your nitrates?

Angel Fish nose up.

I changed 25% of the water and added something to bring the nitrate down. Changed the filter and cleaned out the pump and all of its parts. After doing that, the Angel Fish looks and is acting normal. Left bunker on for awhile. I will techeck the nitrate daily. It seemed the filter was really bad. With more fish added it seemed to fill up with waste.

Keeping filters clean does help lower nitrates just make sure you don't scrub them or remove the BB.

Water changes removes nitrates and IMO, should be done before adding chemicals to a tank. A 25% water change only removed 25% of the nitrates.

Angel Fish nose up

Thank You.
I plan to do another water change tomorrow. I will do a 50%. The ph is down to 6.5. Everyone looks good. 29 gallon tank. Temp is 82.9. Inhabits are 1 Angel Fish, 1 Pleco, 3 Bengal Loach, 2 Blue Rainbow, 1 Red Rainbow, 1 Dension Barb (Red Line) 3 Serpae Tetras and 5 Moonlight Gouramis I notice today, the Tetras were nipping at the Angel Fish. (first time ever) I fed everyone and it seems to be fine. I figured since Christmas I added the Loaches, Tetras and Gouramis, a week apart. I would like to add an apple snail and other small snails. I was informed that the loaches eat the snails. Is this true. I didn't see this when I had them before. And am I at my limit. I read that the Tetras are better at 5. I prefer to add 2 more bengal loaches.
That is why the filter was really dirty, I needed to change it more often now that I have additional fish.
I don't scrub. I use a small tooth brush to clean the removable tube that sucks up the water and goes into the pump. I also use a pipe cleaner. Everything is just cleaned and rinsed with warm water. I do not use any chemicals of any kind. I also know not to clean the glass with nothing but a damp cloth. I use paper towels.
I have two other tanks, a 10 gallon with 4 guppies, 3 neons and 1 baby guppy that survived from the original 8 I had. This is in a breeder floating holder.
The third tank is a 2 gallon which I had a beta and the neons, but the beta died. So, I have a light blue crawfish, that was a baby from another crawfish. This one ended up eating his brothers and sister. He is by himself. Didn't think I could put anything alive with him.
Prior to this, I have had red claw crabs and a blue lobster. They lived for a good time. But I don't want to invest in any more exotic species. Outside I have a small man made pond in the court yard with 8 gold fish.

As you see, this is a hobby of mine.

Thank You for all your assistance.

Ive found that keeping at least 6 Tetra keeps the nipping down. Serpae tetras are known to nip.

Loaches will eat snails

I had an apple snail in the tank for a long time. He was huge and interesting. I am concern if I get three more of the tetras, I might have over did it in the tank

I have put in now 5 Tetras. My Angel fish aka Rosa, is still hiding, rarely see her come out and when I feed the fish, I don't see her trying to get any. I am thinking it is a combo of things. Still trying to control the nitrate, too many fish and one of the fish nipping at her long tail. I have a 10 gallon and I can try removing the 3 of the large tetras. The two I added are real small and I added two more small loaches. This is the first time, I have a handful of fish. Any suggestions.

Help,
My Angel Fish is still swimming with her nose up and hiding. I am worried. I moved her to my 10 gallon tank that has guppies and small neons. She has been in there for 5 minutes and seems to be trying to swim. then floats a little backwards. Her fins on the side are moving and then she relaxes. Am I losing her? My nitrate is high, nitrite good, ph good Carbonate hardness is in caution level and general hardness is high, but that has always been like that do to the mixture of city water with bottled water. I started having issues with her when I added more fish, tetras.

Yes, I empty the aquarium half way. I removed the tetras that were bothering my Angel Fish. They are in the 10 gallon tank with the guppies and other tetras and aquatic frogs. I was worried that the tank wasn't big enough and the frogs would be harmful to the Angel. So I moved her back into the 29 gallon. She is in the corner of the tank and hides, but occasionally comes out. She isn't eating and not responding to my finger. I am going to the pet store to get the water tested and thinking of getting Algone.

FYI- I was using the strips to test my aquariums and it seems they are not accurate. I brought samples of water from all tanks to the pet store to be tested and they all were fine. So, my Angel Fish, Rosa, seems to be just stressed with all the new additions. I did remove the three tetras and placed them in the 10 gallon with other tetras and guppies. Seem to doing fine. Rosa is back in her home and has started to come out from hiding. Last night she actually ate. Thank you for all your advice. I did purchase a tester kit to test everything individually.

Back
Top Bottom