Angel fish with possible broken jaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I am wondering if any anyone can help me.
my large angel fish seems to have broken his jaw as he cannot close his mouth.
He has been unable to eat any food for two days and I am starting to become concerned as he is my favorite fish in the tank.
I have tried feeding him bloodworm which he is very interested in eating but is unable to swallow it and so spits it out.
Does anyone know if there is anything that I can do to help him!?

Thank you in advance.

Wayne.

Try feeding him thru a medicine syringe, I am recooping a tiger barb that got into it with my angel he is eating thru that but only has half of his lower jaw and its wide open, I will euthanize him when I can but right now he is doing OK.

thank you for the advice, I will try that. I'm guessing (dreading) it's an incurable thing with fish?

100% uncurable but some fish adapt better then others but food wise they need their lower jaw to eat properly.

Hi was wondering if anyone knows the best way to euthanase my angel fish as he is statting to suffer and is now being picked on by the other fish!
i do not want him to suffer!!

Don't know if angels get into that, but goldies sure can .... If the fish ahd swallowed a small rock/gravel, it can lodge in the throat, preventing the mouth from closing & the fish from eating.

Before euthanizing him, try to take a look into the mouth. Fish may be saved if you can pull the rock out with a pair of tweezers.

Thank you everyone who tried to help. Unfortunately he died last night!
I did put him in a small tank with water from my main tank so he wasn't picked on and died peacefully!

bless him.

Back
Top Bottom