Angelfish brok off half of its tail :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Overnight, my juvie angelfish broke off the lower ray of its tail, up to the base. :( Does anyone know if it will grow back normally? It's a veil tail.
Thanks!

It's hard to say. If it's light damage it will usually regrow but it sounds pretty severe so it may not. Sort of a wait and see.

Best thing you can do is be sure to maintain the best water conditions that you can and you could treat with Melafix to help out. You want to avoid infections at this point so nice clean water is the best you can do.

How did he do it? If he was attacked by something in the tank? Moving it to a hospital tank for a little while may be a good idea as well depending on the situation.

tamtam said:
How did he do it? If he was attacked by something in the tank? Moving it to a hospital tank for a little while may be a good idea as well depending on the situation.

There's nothing nippy in the tank. It's weird because it looks like a clean cut, straight up from the bottom, halfway through the tail. But it's not into the meaty area. I can't figure out anything he could have caught it on, except possibly the guard around my heater. Thanks for the reply.

my male angel's fins got beaten up pretty bad when i first got him, and then the shock from going from bad water, to my nice, clean water, made his tail split... he healed quickly and after a bit started to regrow the streamers on his tail. hope ur little one heals. clean water, and i used stress coat just cause it has the aloe which helps them heal faster. good luck! ud be surprised what fish can recover from...

I love angel fish I just upgraded my tank not to long ago and made a rookie mistake in which I lost my three large ones that I had

Luckily I went to the local pet smart they had juveniles on sale for 1.99 they're doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom