Angelfish Dorsal and Anal Fins Bent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
Hi. I have two beautiful marble angelfish and they appear to be very healthy and active. The other angelfish's dorsal and anal fins are straight up like angelfish fins should. But the other one is not straight. Its dorsal and anal fins are both bent. I don't see him/her having a difficulty swimming with it. I just wanted to know if this will affect him/her later on. And if she/he has really really something wrong with her/him. Any answer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I can take a picture of him/her tonight but the tank is already dark so I will try my best to get a picture of him/her.

hi...i just got some pictures. it is dark but you can see what i meant. i will just upload it in a bit...

Far View:

img_2109816_0_0406f4ab679794a19a594c1992dc9f9a.jpg

Close up of the top fin:
img_2109816_1_3f30ee6347768feb31443d9dbaa818e5.jpg

Close up of the lower fin:
img_2109816_2_3784a87783f79097f392e1d0135aafdb.jpg

Closer view of the whole angelfish:
img_2109816_3_af678aff90bc5655de4b6f591ae451f0.jpg

He/she is with the other angelfish in that corner that is why it looks like there are more fins in the picture. They were not happy I had a light towards their corner so I can see them.

So, what is the verdict for my beautiful baby. Is he/she sick?

HHmmm never had an issue with this line as I sit here scratching my head. Usually after lineage is there anything different in your water chemistry, that is something the second common reason that fins will become bent.

When I get a chance post some pics of the siblings I kept.

HHmmm never had an issue with this line as I sit here scratching my head. Usually after lineage is there anything different in your water chemistry, that is something the second common reason that fins will become bent.

When I get a chance post some pics of the siblings I kept.

Thanks shay. I don't think my water chemistry had drastically changed that it will cost the angelfish (my son called him/her Max) to have those fins bent. Goldie, the other angelfish is all straight up, no bent that I could see. So I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Max is still very active, he/she actually is acting like the boss of Goldie most of the time.

Is there a disease I should be aware of for angelfish?

It has been like a month hcourts. when I bought them from shay when they were just juvies, they both have straight fins...

Last edited:
I do not know of any diseases that cause this. I do know that some angels will develop bent fins for various reasons such as water quality issues, overcrowding, and basic genetics. In this case, I am guessing the issue is genetic. The fish does not show any signs of stunting or ammonia damage. Also, I know you got the fish from a good source.
I would say, just ignore it. As long as the fish is still getting around ok (which I assume he is since you said the issue is not new), then it is likely just an anomaly IMO, not a disease symptom.

I do not know of any diseases that cause this. I do know that some angels will develop bent fins for various reasons such as water quality issues, overcrowding, and basic genetics. In this case, I am guessing the issue is genetic. The fish does not show any signs of stunting or ammonia damage. Also, I know you got the fish from a good source.
I would say, just ignore it. As long as the fish is still getting around ok (which I assume he is since you said the issue is not new), then it is likely just an anomaly IMO, not a disease symptom.

Yes, shay is the best. And I know my water parameters is always good. He/she has not shown any difficulty moving/swimming around with those fins, so I was assuming it does not bother him/her at all. So, okay, I will just ignore it then. Max has been having that bent fin for awhile and he/she is still everywhere. Thanks absolutangel04. I feel much better now.

No prob. Some people will trim the fins below the bend in hopes of them growing back straight, but that seems really crazy IMO. It doesn't lower the quality of life any, so I don't think it is worth the stress that would cause to the fish.

Oh wow, I will never do that to Max. It will definitely stress him/her very much to cut the fins. Oh poor thing. I cannot even imagine it.

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom