Angelfish extremely sick!! No idea what it has please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xxredxx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello*I am new*to aquariumadvice, recently I noticed my 5 and 1/2 year angelfish hasn't been feeling well it started with a little bit of tearing of the fins. Then I noticed my angel started to get cloudy eye. So I did water changes cloudy eye got better. But in the last week the Cloudy eye has returned my female angel fishes fins side and top and back fin or deteriorating at a rapid rate also it looks*like her scales are coming off. She looks slightly bloated and she's hanging at the bottom*of the tank with her head pointed down kind of breathing heavy I recently did a massive water change to try to help with the issue. After I did the water change the fish decline in health. She stopped eating and now she just hangs at the top of the tank barely moving on her side. I have a 120 gallon tall hexagon tank with a Sump System I have four angels, 4*discus, I have one Golden Nugget pleco and two rubber nose plecos and three small Tetris. And one small albino Cory cat. My pH in my tank is around 6.8 my ammonia is a round .25 PPM, my nitrite are 0 and my nitrates are between 5ppm and 10ppm. And I keep my tank around 80 degrees. This is an established tank I've had it running for over 3 years. I have my Angelfish in a hospital tank right now I just don't know what to treat her for cuz it looks like she has everything. I've had this angelfish and see was the size of a nickel I really do not want to lose her if you have any ideas that can help me figure out how to treat her properly I greatly appreciate it. Also all my other fish in my tank are perfectly healthy it's just that one angel. thank you for your help

Attachments

• 20181020_212959.jpg
    20181020_212959.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 20181020_213013.jpg
    20181020_213013.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 87
Hi, I am new here too. I'm so sorry about your fish. I know I'm too late but in case you come across this again, when I had a flame gourami with these symptoms I was told it was due to intestinal parasites and was recommended Metronidazole. I had to mix their food with a drop or two of water (or some garlic juice if they wouldn't eat) and crush a small piece of the tablet into a fine powder and sprinkle a tiny amount over their food and mix it in, then feed it to them. In Australia unfortunately Metro is via prescription only so by the time I got some from a vet my fish was too sick and I couldn't save it.

Sorry to hear this is happening.

Your angel appears to have quite a bit of fin damage on all of it's fins. It also has popeye in both his eyes. I see bloating but can't tell what his scales are doing. You explained his scales were sticking out which is commonly called pineconing. This is caused from internal parasites or bacterial infection. In my experience I've never been able to save a fish once they began pineconing. It's pretty severe at this point and the fish doesn't last long afterwards unfortunately. With all the different issues he has right now it would probably require a few different medications. This much meds on a compromised fish usually ends in death IME as they are already weakened and meds can be harsh. My opinion would be to euthanize but that decision is strictly yours.

Is your tank still cycled? You shouldn't have ammonia with that many big water changes on a cycled tank. Is their another source where your ammonia could come from.....as in waiting to long to do water changes, not changing enough water out, does your tap water contain ammonia, or not cleaning your filtration system for extended periods of time? Any meds used that could have killed off your beneficial bacteria?

Just some advice, you shouldn't mix Angels with Discus. Not saying it couldn't work but not a good idea IMO. Your tank temperature isn't high enough for discus....they should be kept at 82 degrees minimum. Discus are a fairly sensitive fish and shouldn't be kept in a tank with any ammonia reading.

Gee this is tough. I'm so sorry, but the symptoms sound dire to me. Too much treatment can kill a stressed fish. Call the nearest zoo and ask for the fellow in aquatics. Maybe s/he can help.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom