Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Angelfish has some missing skin around head

Whatís happening to my angel? Is he just getting picked on by the black red tail shark or is it something more severe at this point?

Acting a little reserved but still eating and swimming around fine, one eye has some cloudy lines and some skin around eyes is missing. Bottom fin is a little torn now too, thatís new.

Side note: I did have an Odessa barb die recently and it had a large white spot on its head, not sure what it was- maybe hole in the head disease? Is that contagious? Another barb is acting a little weird now too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3850.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	312814

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	312817

Name:	IMG_3843.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	312818

Old 05-02-2019, 01:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks like some sort of infection, but it could be the shark beating him up? Do you see the shark constantly harassing the angel? If so, the stress could have made him more susceptible to infection which then caused him to pick up some bacteria. Red tail sharks are nasty little guys and in my opinion don't really belong in most community tanks. I would QT your angel and run a course of erythromycin which is a broad spectrum antibiotic in order to kill off the infection.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Looks like some sort of infection, but it could be the shark beating him up? Do you see the shark constantly harassing the angel? If so, the stress could have made him more susceptible to infection which then caused him to pick up some bacteria. Red tail sharks are nasty little guys and in my opinion don't really belong in most community tanks. I would QT your angel and run a course of erythromycin which is a broad spectrum antibiotic in order to kill off the infection.

The shark is not constantly harassing him, but in the past has injured another angelfish which caused the he mouth to be deformed and that one eventually died

Sometimes the shark gets more aggressive and then I remodel the tank or something and she is fine again. Itís always a bounce back and forth for if Iíll rehome her or not! But Iíve had her for 7+ years and sheís pretty cool so for now I like her.

The only reason Iím hesitant to QT is because Iím bad at keeping a QT tank haha, the 5 gallon currently has qt rasboras in it which is rare, and also itíd be too small for the angel for very long, and the 10 gallon is a shrimp tank with plants... itís not or never to us it as a qt tank though I suppose, shouldnít be hard to move all the shrimp to the 5 gal for now, but worry about lingering effects in the 10 from meds.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

This is what comes up on amazon when I search erythromycin, is this good?

Name:	IMG_3859.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	312829
Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

https://www.chewy.com/api-em/dp/1220...RoCWwMQAvD_BwE
Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

So... I finally got the erythromycin and quarantine and itís the 4th day of treatment. I have both angels in there. The gold one is doing good and itís belly looks less bloated so thatís cool.
However, the black one still has some sores on itís eye and body and one of its fins looks likes itís basically gone?! Strangely it is not swimming sideways anymore though he was struggling for a little while. That fun has some meat on it at the base but I canít see much of it past that point. What could be going on? Should I continue treatment longer or try something else?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Continue treatment
Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Angelfish has some missing skin around head

Instructions say 4 total doses, should I continue daily for now? With 20% water change every 2 days?
Old 05-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	313000 Hereís what the fin looks like right now. Meaty and the fun part isnít there. Can that grow back? He swims a little funny sometimes.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

so Iíve been dozing daily and he still seems to be doing unwell. I have removed the other angel and am onto the second pack of erythromycin I have. Is there anything else I can do for him? His vision is poor as his eyes are covered in a cloudy partial film and his fin is still missing.

Name:	IMG_4322.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	313032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4321.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	313033Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4320.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	313034

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish, missing, skin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com