Angelfish HLLE? Remaining ich? Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 55g had ich 3-4 weeks ago. After attempting the heat treatment, I used coppersafe. I left it for 10 days, then added my purigen back to the tank, and began weekly water changes. Since the , 2 of my angels have gotten holes in their dorsal fins. My nitrates never went above 20, and I just kept hoping water changes would fix them. They seemed to repair themselves. My rams began acting lethargic, but I assumed it was due to my section ing them off in hopes they'd try to mate again. I fell asleep tonight, and woke to find my best angels dorsal fin torn down the middle, and pits in her side. The pits are white, but they are not raised. They look more like indents or missing scales. A different angel had the same pitting on her side last week, but it went away. I'm at a loss. In going to try to add a pic. If its not attached, it will be under my profile in the freshwater-problems-sassy album. It's the completely black fish with the problems this week. Sassy was last week. I feel like I should do something, but I don't know what!

Attachments

• image-3676892779.jpg
    image-3676892779.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 85
Well, thanks for asking! They seem to be getting better. No new marks or holes. The pinholes in the 2 dorsal fins ripped to the outer edge (as I was told they would...so I didn't freak out), but now they seem to be healing. The marks on sassy's side are gone. Stan still has scrape looking marks, but they look better every day. I haven't figured out where to re-home the Bolivian ram, and/or denison barb that I now believe are the problem....pecking, and stress due to pecking....but no one has had new injuries in a week, so maybe they figured it out! (I'm hoping anyways). If it were ich, or a disease, I think I would have seen more issues in the past week? It could still be bacterial, but I'm just hoping fresh water and love will help them through this! How are you and yours?

Attachments

• image-327859621.jpg
    image-327859621.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 88
Them eating blood worms. I tried to get a pic of the scrapes, but they're very faint!

Attachments

• image-2246185190.jpg
    image-2246185190.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 154
The baby (actually about 2" including fins) looks like a devil with horns cause of the ripped dorsal. Lol. I really hope it heals well

Attachments

• image-1599358701.jpg
    image-1599358701.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 87
Mine are same. I bought some anti-protozoan flakes b/c they seem skinny & have white poop. Not sure if they are safe for juvies though? Nice fish BTW.

Thanks! I am NO pro, but most lfs have a medication schedule...they have to, in order to keep so many fish! Anyhow...I personally feed ALL new fish (that poo white) 5 days of metro laced food I bought from angelsplus....while they're in the quarantine tank. It takes metro to get rid of hexamitia....which is what angels have. At my lfs, most the angels face the back, poo white, and look skinny, so it's obvious. It's really not recommended to feed them medicated food, cause you have to give them ONLY that food for 5 days, and the more you use meds, the less they work the next time you need em. If my angels get something that requires metro to cure, it'll be harder for me, cause they'll have a tolerance. That being said, if you are going with medicated food, make sure it contains metronidazole. :)

I got mine from angels plus as well. I will start feeding twice a day tomorrow. I just can't figure out how my fish keep having the same problems. Frustrating! Thanks though.

It isn't the fish who build up a tolerance to the meds.. it is the bugs that infect them who become resistant. It is the very same mechanism that causes antibiotic resistant bacterial infections in humans. If the same med is used to treat the same infection many times, a few of the organisms will survive, and then the next time they are treated, if the same medication is used, they have an immunity to it. Sometimes a longer course or slightly higher dose will work, other times you need a different drug.

It may be worth trying another med in the same drug class, to see if alternating them might help ward off the acquisition of resistance by the organisms. Some of these drugs are used as worming meds for other animals, like dogs & horses, so you might be able to get another type from a vet, if it isn't available any other way.

Yes, I'm sorry. That's what I meant. Lol. Again, I'm no expert. What was your tank size? I had soooo much trouble with 2 angels in a 30g. And they were adolescents!!! The same fish are FINE in a 55g. I also really try to quarantine any new fish. And, everyone tells me angels are hardier than I think, but mine are spoiled and picky! ANY nitrates over 10, or if I don't get their temp/ph exactly right on water changes....and their getting pinholes or acting stressed. They survive, but I sit and worry for days. The worst was when I kept throwing g Medicine at them! I finally listened and realized clean water is better than messing up my biological filter with antibiotics (most kill good bacteria too). Do u have pics of the angels,

image-933000320.jpg

56 gallon column.

What is the plant in your pix?

Attachments

• image-573938608.jpg
    image-573938608.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 76
  • image-153846659.jpg
    image-153846659.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 100
Beauties! If you were asking me...I have no idea what the plant is called. But, all mine are fake. I know they're supposed to help everything, but I wasn't ready to take on more until I had my tank the way I want it (healthy, happy fish in the correct water). I plan to do plants down the line, but I'm more interested in breeding fish right now...if I can ever succeed at more than guppies/convicts. Everyone will prolly jump me, but what is the gh/kh/ph of your tank? When my angels act up, get torn fins, etc...I check : ph/gh/kh, nitrates, what they've eaten, and stressors (nippy other fish). In that order. (And that's if there aren't obvious signs of parasites, or bacteria - like pits...which is why I freaked and wrote this post. Lol. I saw missing scales, and freaked. But, I really think my barb and ram are just being jerks. Is there anything on the outside of them? Besides the split fins? In a diff tank, I have 1 angel with tetras/barbs. She runs the tank, so I knew she wasn't being nipped, but her dorsal split. I did water changes every other day for a week, and she was better. I still don't know WHY, but she got better. I wish they could just tell us what's wrong! Lol

Oh, and the best purchase I ever made was a purigen. It keeps my nitrates low, and even though it makes my driftwood less effective, the benefits far outweigh the losses.

I have been meaning to try purigen. Ph is 8. Problems are skinniness, white poo, scratches / missing scales, and tattered fins. Don't know kh/gh. I just have API master kit.

It is a tiger barb ? They are notorious for fin nipping, at best, outright carnage to fins at worst. I had 3 at one time, back when I was a kid, and knew no better. Kept them in a community tank with Angel fish, swords, platies, mollies, some neons and for a short time, even a Betta, poor thing. The Betta's fins were eaten down to the body within a few days and the poor thing died. I didn't know fish would do that to each other back then. The barbs also harassed most of the other fish at least part of the time, though since the other fish were mostly larger, not to badly. The neons were mostly hiding, I think, it's been a long time since then and I can't really remember how they did.

The tiger barbs also regularly shortened the long 'feeler' fins on the Angels, but they were a very large, mated pair and quite pushy in their own right, so they were not damaged beyond that. They would chase the barbs off if they got too nippy and especially when they were getting ready to spawn, the barbs got very short shrift from the Angel fish.

I've never kept rams, but I'd guess they can be nippy too.

I would not keep any tiger barbs with any fish that had long fins now. Some barbs are fine, cherry barbs, from what I hear, are very peaceful fish. Never had any of them either. But while I find Tiger barbs quite pretty and active, I would not keep them now, unless I had a tank suited for them and tankmates they could not damage.

Actually I have a denison barb, who I see nipping also. My Bolivian ram only nips when the angels go down into his little territory. Does anyone know about denison barbs? Boy, I'd be so mad if I rehome the Bolivian, and continue to have problems! My angels have pretty much cleared up! As far as yours, it probably is the barbs. The poo and such could be due to stress? (Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...) also, they say stable ph is what's important, but my angels seemed to stop having so many problems when I started using 1/3 tap water (very hard) and 2/3 RO water. Mine like the softer water. If they start facing the back, or hiding in corners, id guess hex. otherwise.....
I'm only including the following on this post because my angels are in the same tank, and I'll be so upset if they're affected...(there is another thread labeled "what's wrong with my rams" in unhealthy fish, or under my profile for further info).... My rams are in the same tank with a divider. They were mating. The female is now very dark, stressed, and even turned sideways for a moment today. She IS being harassed by the male, and i was going to remove the divider (since they ate the eggs, there was no point), until I noticed something red sticking out of my male ram. It is close to where poo comes out, but at an odd angle. I don't think it's anchor worms, because it doesn't fork at the end. It almost looks like color on his underneath fin (the one next to his tail) but when he swims, you can tell its not part of the fin, just right next to it. I can't get a good pic, but I need to figure this out before removing the divider and letting them near my angels! Please advise...

Attachments

• image-1193849652.jpg
    image-1193849652.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom