Angelfish in serious condition! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackiee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon tank. About 2 weeks, ago, I put two of my angelfish in my 10 gallon tank so that my other 2 angelfish could protect their eggs that they layed with no one else interferring. After a day the eggs were eaten so I put the two angelfish back in the 29 gallon. However, about a week later (last week) all of my fish in my 10 gallon started to die. I had 3 swordtails (2 one inch fry), a betta, a long finned tetra, and a pleco. They have all died and I don't know how it happened. I got the tank about 2 months ago. It used to have an undergravel filter but they didn't use it, so all they had running was an air bubble thing. The fish stopped moving, were floating and breathing rapidly on the bottom of the tank, like they were resting.

All are now dead except for the pleco, which I don't know what to do with him.

In my 29 gallon, the angelfish that were put in the 10 gallon are now extremely sick and it's spreading to the others! Their fins are becoming smaller and smaller by the day, and one who is really bad seems like its eating his skin. It looks like white cottony growth on his side and it has attacked his eyes, his side, and his fins with this cottony growth. Now it is spreading to everyone else and now the rest of their fins are starting to get eaten away.

What is this? I've tried looking but I didn't know which one it is. And how do I treat it?

Wow, that is very odd. First off, I would consider antibiotics and melafix to treat with. You may want to use something like Maracyn-Two, which will treat gram negative bacterial infections, which could be infecting your fish. Melafix is a good medicine (not really a medicine, more a hermal remedy) that is awesome at repairing fin damage. I would do a hefty water change first, then add the medication as soon as possible.

With the 10 gallon, I'm wondering if it could have been an ammonia spike or something that killed the fish, with the addition of 2 extra, messy fish. Sounds like it, with the lethargy and rapid breathing.

I think that is a good place to start. Hope it helps and the fish pull through. Keep in mind that clean water goes a long, long way in repairing fins. Do frequent water changes and feed everyother day for a while until this is over.

HTH

I really appreciate your help! I'll be going to the LFS tonight..I'll do a big water change and then add the medication (Melafix and Maracyn-Two). I'll let you know how it goes!

Hope all pulls through! Forgot to mention someting, and that is that maracyn-two can sometimes mess with water quality. So I'd test every few days to make sure ammonia isn't climbing. A bad side effect, but maracyn-two usually kicks most bacterial infections.

:)

I added the medication this morning again.

They really seemed to enjoy the big water change (about 65-70% change).

But the angelfish that looks really bad seems to have fungus all over its body now. The maracyn-two doesn't treat fungus....should I get the regular Maracyn to control the fungus? Please reply.

I don't know what you should use for the fungus, maybe Jungle Fungus Clear?

I was just going to comment that when I've used Maracyn-2 in the past (for cyano), it definitely did affect the bio filter. I tested my perams daily, and saw a mini cycle. Crisis was easily averted by a couple of pwc's, but I just wanted to let you know that you should keep your test kit handy and be prepared in the case of a mini cycle. Good luck!

Thanks for everyone's help, but 3 of the fish have died (out of four). I'll try my hardest to keep the last one alive, and I'm going to make a pwc tomorrow.

That sucks. Sounds like something agressive in your tank. I would keep treating, even if they all die, to make sure whatever was in there is gone. It might not have been from the bacterial infection but maybe from the fungus.

Sorry. :(

Back
Top Bottom