Angelfish issues---fears realized?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
His pair of angelfish have always had a voracious appetite. Two weeks ago, I noticed one of the two was not eating as well, although the tankmate seemed unaffected.

But in the last couple of days, they both have essentially stopped eating.

Here is the kicker- about the time of the first fish not eating, I found what looked like a large teardrop-shaped white "thing" I could only guess was poop... After that, the fish not eating had a solid white piece of ? Hanging out that seemed to not change or pass. Now, both have white "poo" hanging out. A closer inspection shows a bit more around their vent area. I have taken a few pictures, though it is difficult to get a clear shot. Hopefully someone will be able to see enough to diagnose

Hi! I really cant tell much from the pics but your description sounds like a classic case of internal parasites. Is the poop white & stringy or is there actually worms in it? This is important to figure out the best course of treatment. How do your water parameters look (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Some more info will help us to help you better!

Look up camellanus worms to see if symptoms match. Hope not. But some people on here have fought them and won. Good luck.

Sorry I didn't post my water parameters - I didn't think about posting them, since the numbers are so consistent:

Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5 (so much so, I have to supplement for my plants)

In digging, I unfortunately believe it is camellanus - one fish shows a few tiny reddish "things" coming out of its anus.

I have ordered some Fenbendazole powder, having found several article on its use for camellanus.

Good luck!!! Fenbendazole is supposed to be very effective although i have no personal experience in using it. I know i few others on this site have battled this dreaded worm-i would do a search to see if there are any other suggestions as well.

Thanks for the well wishes. If the Fenbendazole doesn't seem to help, the next step is Levamisole - but it isn't' quite as simple to find...

I have the email address for the owner of site that sells levamisole in the US- i found him in my attempt to find something to kill a leech infestation. Send me a pm if you need to find it! Good luck!!!

Did the Fenbendazole work? Looks like one if my tanks might also have this worm. The only stuff I see on amazon is for dogs. I'm not sure how much to dose for tetras.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Just wondering if you were able to resolve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom