angelfish lying on side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawkinoheat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I jst bought 2 angelfish and noticed about 4hours late one of them keeps lying on his side as if hes weak and got no energy. All my othrr fish are fine so wondering whats wrong. I am an absolute novice at this so any help will be appreciated thanks

Please post your water parameters: ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. How big is your tank?

Could you post some photos? It could be that the angel is really stressed and not adjusting to new environment. If you suspect disease, I would quickly take it out and put into quarantine to avoid him passing it to others.

Sorry for you loss. Hope you can get a free replacement from your LFS. I don't own angels, so I will let others chime in here.

Please post yout tank params, How long it has been cycled? What is your water change schdule? how did you acclimate? Have you Qurantined before adding to tank? They may have carried something into your tank and now your whole tank is effected. be very careful over the next month. That will be when any hidden disease will pop up.

No I haven't quarantined didn't know I had to a left the fish in the bag I got from the shop and floated it for about half hour then let it in the tank. I checked the ph etc on friday only got the tank off my auntie then with some fish already in. Did a 50% water change the day I got it. All other fish have been fine. Put sum new fish in today and ive had 2 tetras die probably from the other fish chasing them. And now a angelfish. Also my swordtails and cherry barbs keep hassling the angel fish.

I have not experience with angelfish, but I do know that cherry barbs are downright nasty. Not sure they are compatible.

Unfortunately LFS's only want to sell you fish. Sad but true. A general rule regarding baby fish/scared fish, give them places to hide. Since angelfish are kindof like discus in terms of shape (i have discus), long stemmed plants are good for hiding.

Angels are very picky about acclimating, drip acclimating works very well with them. Also providing a lot of hiding places and live plants help with their health. I actually havn't run into any problems with my three, but I know they like slightly acidic water as well.

Back
Top Bottom