Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Angelfish Mental Deficiencies

I am more than a little concerned about the mental capacity of my angelfish! I have a pair that has mated twice, but the other tank occupants have always eaten the eggs. Well, I realized that they were going to mate again and as soon as I noticed that the female was getting in the mood, I seperated the pair from their tankmates. She eventually started giving him the come hither looks, a little shake of the tailfin, a nip on the cheek, seductively cleaning a leaf. He didn't seem to take notice. That didn't stop her, she went right ahead and started doing some dry runs on the leaf, and he finally started to follow, YAY (I thought). She soon started laying, and he surely followed... EATING the eggs as the were laid!!! I am really glad that the survival of the species doesn't depend on this fella. Does anyone know why he would do this? Is he just really slow? Is he a psycho angelfish? Should I be afraid to put my fingers in the tank??!! Seriously, I am disappointed because I really would like to raise a batch of angelfish fry.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
SixFootDaisy

That sounds kind of weird.

Maybe he just doesn't want any babies. Or maybe he was hungry.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i read that when angelfish are juvinile they will often eat their own eggs or allow other fish to eat them.

as they grow older they become more fiercely territoral and protective of their broods.

might be yours are exhibiting this behavior, only time will tell
Old 07-14-2003, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
I have a pair that has mated twice, but the other tank occupants have always eaten the eggs
Mine have laid eggs at least 3 times now, all have been eaten, not sure who ate them.
Quote:
Does anyone know why he would do this? Is he just really slow? Is he a psycho angelfish? Should I be afraid to put my fingers in the tank??!!
Well, I've read that they frequently eat the first several batches of eggs, then finally get the hang of it, in most cases. Much like glmcell said.

Some of them NEVER get it right.

If I figure out anything more I'll let you know. I'd like to get some fry to raise up myself.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have also read about young pairs eating the eggs. I guess I figured since he fertilized them twice, he had the hang of it. At least I have learned how to determine the sex of angels. I had planned on removing the eggs and hatching them myself. If they do breed again, I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, So now I understand why he ate the eggs! Today he mated successfully with a different female! He just had his eye on someone else. I am really excited, because all the eggs look like they were fertilized - no white ones. I pulled the leaf that they were on and put them in a seperate container and have the air bubbles flowing! There will be no caviar tonight. I don't have any methelyne blue so I am keeping my fingers crossed against fungus. I am going to do some more reading on the steps to hatching and growing these suckers, but WOO HOO! Dad is a regular silver striped Angel, mom is golden so I can't wait to see the fry!
Old 07-20-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Good for you! What you describe is very typical angel behavior, and that is why so many people will remove the eggs since angels are not known for their parenting skills. Good luck with your fry, and post pictures!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 01:38 PM   #8

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. Fingers crossed for ya!

Tags
angel, angelfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com