Angelfish nipping fins while tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KrombopulosAndy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently set up a new tall 110 Litre tank, which on the fish shop's advice I let cycle with some fluval cycle for 2 weeks. I then added way too many fish at once and I may have overstocked it a bit already (I'm new to the hobby and didn't get the best advice).

I currently have:

8 Female Platys
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Silver Angelfish (Currently about 2 inches long)

To deal with the Ammonia I'm currently doing 35-40% water changes every day to keep the ammonia under 0.5ppm and dosing with Seachem prime and Sechem stability, with the plan to continue until the tank stabilises.

All the fish seem happy, active and are eating regfularly apart from one of the angel fish. He's eating and moving around fine, but the other angelfish is highly aggressive towards him and seems to be nipping at his fins, to the point where they're about 3/4 the length they were when I got him. They we're a bit ragged when we got him, so I'm not 100% sure if this is due to the nipping or fin rot (see attached pic)

attachment.php

I'm tempted to take him, or the aggressive fish back to the shop, but I would very much like to have a pair.

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_090924.jpg
    IMG_20191003_090924.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,007
Your tank is probably the minimum for 1 full grown angelfish. They get taller than people realize. I would rehome the aggressive one.
Female platys unless they were being kept separate from the males will probably all already be pregnant (or will be soon).
I'm not entirely sure if angelfish and gourami get along well but maybe someone else can chime in about that.

Thanks for the advice, I've ended up taking the aggressive angelfish back to the shop (just down the street). The change has been almost instant, the other angelfish isn't hiding anymore and seem to be a lot more active. I'll keep an eye on the dwarf gourami and angelfish, but at the moment they seem to get along fine. On the platys, I am already aware of this, and dealing with it.

Nice. You have enough predators in your tank that you probably won't see many fry.

Anglefish are very agressive and also very territorial. I have a 75 gallon tank, and 2 in there ment one fish killed the other. (I pulled and it died later because it was too injured). That is a large tank, so I think you would have a worse situation with a little 30 gallon. (110 liter). I would take the fish to the shop if they will take it back.

Thanks, I mentioned in another comment that I took the aggressive fish back to the shop last week. The other angelfish seems much happier and his fins are starting to slowly regrow. They we're pretty surprised that I was having a problem with them, but based on the other bad advice they've given me, I've learnt to do most of my research myself.

Back
Top Bottom