Angelfish scales coming off?? -update 12/01/04

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, dealing with my first illness here. I received two angelfish last week and they went into my 55 gallon tank. They have been actively swimming and eating very well. I went away for a couple of days for Thanksgiving holiday and had a friend check up on them while I was away. They even changed some water for me (extra special x-mas gift coming for them!). Anywho, I got back and I have noticed that one of the angels looks as though he has two patches of scales that have fallen off. Any idea what this is and how I need to treat it?

Here are my water perams:

pH: 7.0
everything else undetectible.

Also, I have a 5 gallon that I am going to start setting up as a QT tank (still have some frogs and plants in there that will now need to be moved to my 10 gallon). Should I take out the gravel too? Or just leave it "as is" because it has been established for a while, and once I stop treatment clean out the tank, gravel and all.

*edit* btw, the angel fish is just a bit smaller than a silver dollar coin so the 5 gallon tank wont be too small, right??

upon further inspection, there seems to be a filmy substance on parts of his body, but all his fins look fine.

This is a tough question. My first instinct is that your pH, although 7.0 now, took a wide swing while you were gone. Possibly the water change caused this? Maybe overfeeding by your friend?

It would be unusual for this to be caused by disease, although not impossible. Another alternative is maybe a plecosotmus? Pleco's are knows for going after the scales of Angelfish.

I think your quarantine tank would be fine as described. For the record, your biggest danger is a bacterial infection. Do not use any coppoer based medications in your tank, becuase copper will make the bacertial infection worse. If you need to treat for parasites, choose an alternative medication such as Quick Cure.

Well, my tap water comes out as 7.0, even after sitting for a day. My friend was also instructed not to feed my fish, I figured no food was better than too much food, and since it was only a couple of days, they'd be fine. I've been reading, and I can't seem to find out exactly what this disease is. There are a few bacterial diseases that have the cloudy film stuff, but they also have other symptoms, none of which include the patches of scales that are missing. Soo..... oh, and I don't think this disease-ish type thing came from my tank. I had noticed that this angel fish's scales weren't as shiney in some areas when I got him last week, and I think it has progressed since them. He still seems happy and is swimming around nicely. *sigh*

anyone have a clue? I am going to my LFS today to see if they might have any answers. I have a good, knowledgable friend who works there so I trust he won't just be selling me products.

btw- I read somewhere that it could be from the other angelfish being aggressive. If this turns out to be the case, should I return the aggressor, or could I get a 3rd to help even out temperments? (I've always hear groups of three are better than two)

My first thought was the scales falling off are due to an aggressor. Then, a fungal or bacterial disease seet in.

Yup, I watched my fish for almost an hour to see what was going on and discovered the second, healthy angel to be aggressive and nippy to the 1st angel. So, tomorrow the aggressor is heading back to the LFS, I am getting a small heater for the QT tank to keep it steady (my roommate and I aren't use to our new apaprtment's heating so it is fluctuating at the moment) and in he'll go for some nice rest and relaxation, plus a little pampering and organic meds to help promote the scale growth. Melafix I believe is what was suggested. I was told it is a mild drug that either does wonders or nothing at all. Please let me know if there is something else I should use.

Here are the symptoms to recap:
missing patches of scales where the 2nd angel picked them off
a filmy substance that has progressively gone away, but I want to be sure

Try Melafix and lots of PWC. If the growths get bigger, go with a stronger anti bacterial/fungal med.

wonderful, thanks everyone! I'll update you in a few days to let you know how the little one is doing :D

Update: Just wanted to let everyone know that I can already see scales starting to come back on my angel :D and any trace of the filmy-stuff is all gone. Woohoo!!! Thanks a bunch :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom