angelfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lildragonflies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is pretty new (my christmas present) and I didn't do any research to transfer my 10 gal.so there were some casualties. We started out with 4 serpae tetras and two marble angelfish and one 3" albino pleco in the 10 gal tank. After a year we got this 38 gal tank because the angels were doing well but needed more space. I set up the tank and threw my fish in. Wrong. I know. :( right away I lost one tetra. I got another pleco to hang with the albino and a blushing angel. the day I brought them home the albino pleco was dead. Then one of the marble angelfish got really bloated. I thought it was because I didn't rinse the blue gravel substrate well enough so I took it all out and gave it a good rinse in the tub. I put everything back together and got a call that the fish store got some koi angels that I couldn't resist. So I got two baby koi angels and another blushing angel. Then the bloated marble died. And just today the other pleco died too! So now I'm so worried. In all I lost two plecos, one baby angel (that disappeared) one mature angel that was bloated, and one tetra from the transfer. What's left in the 38 gal. Is one big marble, 2 baby koi angels and. 2 baby blushing angels. And 3 serpae tetras. I'm feeding them once a day alternating flakes, bloodworms, and brine shrimp. They all are eating well. The nitrates, nitrites amonia levels are all good. The alkaline is a little high (don't know what that means) and the water is pretty hard. I also noticed cloudiness in the water that look like little particles (maybe from the buckets we used?) I put some pillow batting in the filter hoping it will clear some of it up, but after a few days it doesn't seem to be helping. Someone please help! I'm new at this and I don't want any more fish to die on me!

We need to know your exact levels for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Did you ever find the baby angel? It could be rotting somewhere in your tank producing high levels of ammonia, which would make cloudy water.
Maybe take a picture of the particles?

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
We need to know your exact levels for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Did you ever find the baby angel? It could be rotting somewhere in your tank producing high levels of ammonia, which would make cloudy water.
Maybe take a picture of the particles?

I will try to take a pic. Never found the baby angel. And my amonia level is ok. Exact levels are
Amonia: 0 - . 20
Nitrates: 20
Nitrites: 0- .5
Alkalinity over 300
Ph: 7.8

lildragonflies said:
I will try to take a pic. Never found the baby angel. And my amonia level is ok. Exact levels are
Amonia: 0 - . 20
Nitrates: 20
Nitrites: 0- .5
Alkalinity over 300
Ph: 7.8

Its hard to see the particles in the tank with the camera.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110130_143743.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110130_143743.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 106
Test strips are known for being inaccurate, and could be giving you false readings. A suggestion would be to pick up an API freshwater master test kit to ensure you're getting true readings.

Also, what's the timeline on all this. As in: when was the transfer, the purchases, and the deaths?

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
Test strips are known for being inaccurate, and could be giving you false readings. A suggestion would be to pick up an API freshwater master test kit to ensure you're getting true readings.

Also, what's the timeline on all this. As in: when was the transfer, the purchases, and the deaths?

I had my 10 gal. For a year without a problem. Then at christmas time I got the 38 gal. So this has all happened this month.

Because you didnt cycle this tank. You rinsed the gravel under water that was not in the exsiting tank that would have killed almost all of the bacteria. If you still have your 10gal running put the filter from there into this tank it will help with the cycle and do 10% water changes to keep ammonia levels down

Jason7894561230 said:
Because you didnt cycle this tank. You rinsed the gravel under water that was not in the exsiting tank that would have killed almost all of the bacteria. If you still have your 10gal running put the filter from there into this tank it will help with the cycle and do 10% water changes to keep ammonia levels down

I guess I forgot to mention that. I have been using the old filter in to help cycle this tank. I heard that angelfish like rain water so that's what I used. Rainwater plus the old filter plus "stresszyme" to help reseed the bacteria.

lildragonflies said:
I guess I forgot to mention that. I have been using the old filter in to help cycle this tank. I heard that angelfish like rain water so that's what I used. Rainwater plus the old filter plus "stresszyme" to help reseed the bacteria.

Yea the one I couldn't find turned up dead this morning. But everyone else looks healthy and eating well. So I'm just going to leave the tank alone for now.

Back
Top Bottom