Angelfish white eyes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just went to check my fish tank and saw that my new angelfish (about 1 1/2 weeks) looked a bit sick. It has a sort of 'half covering' of a whitey glazed look over its eyes. It also seems a bit 'weak' not swimming so strongly. Also, a few of its fins look damaged.
My tank has been established for around 6/7 months, water is fine, all other fish are fine.
Could it be stressed and lonley? Whats this merky white glaze on its eyes?
Most importantly, what should i do? I dont have a hospital tank....dont have a spare heater.
TIA

Does it look like a sort of film over the eye or a cloudiness in it?
A couple of months ago one of my convicts got the white cloudiness in one eye. After treating with Maracyn II, it returned to normal.

It looks more like a film over the eye.
Ive just checked it again (first thing in the morning), the lights were still out, but i turned them on for a sec, couldnt see it for while, then i spotted it on the bottom of the tank in the corner. It's facing backwards, not moving. At least lastnight it was swimming about pretty much as normal. I hate to sound negative, but i dont think things look good for my angel, this has come about so quickly, it seemed fine 2 days ago. Would have to happen on my birthday!

UPDATE: The Angel has died.

I am brother of elliott_001 btw. I checked it earlier and it wasnt moving at the back of the tank with the shark always close by, i lifted the angel up and there was no movement at all, to be sure and to put it out of its misery if there it was alive at all, i put it in a bowl of icy, slushy water for 5 minutes.

Sorry to hear about the angel. However it sounds like it had a nasty strain of aquatic fungus. How often do you do water changes on your tank? If this is not often you may want to up the frequency. If it is a small tank this will help with further infection of almost every type. As well if this occurs again go to your LFS and request a fungal medication. Add this to the tank at the specified amount and remove the activated carbon. Then increase the temperature to about 83 degrees F. Once this has been accomplished regualr 10-20% water changes should do the trick if this ever happens again.

I had a Angel do the very samething awhile back. Monday morning it was eatting and paying it's morning game of tag with the other Angels and then plating it's game of " I'm bigger fish then you " with the silver dollors. Then By Monday night Iwas feeding them when I noticed it's eyes had a milky look to them. It was late so I decided I'd wait til monring and then treat it with malafix. Tuesday morning he was blind and running into the tank sides the filter tubes. And After I added meds to the tank he went down hill fast. By Tuesday night he was setting in one spot not moving like he was asleep. By wedsday morning dead.
I had a friend who was going to work for a Vetinniring dianostic clinic. So He offered to take it to work and see if some one there could or would be willing to run a few test on it to see what killed it. So a few days laterI got a call from the clinic they had the test back and had found what killed it. they told me two thing.
1. It was a Pterophyllum scalare black kio of the Cichlid family.
2. That after running 2 test it was determaned that the fish had dyied from it's kidneys shutting down because of a kidney infection. That apon closer exsemanation. The milky film covering it's eyes was Amonnia posioning from it's kidneys shutting down. Causing the retna to exsplode.
Now I thought that was pretty cool of them to do this for me. well coolest over after about a week later I recived a bill for $1,678.23 for the testing and determaination of death on a Angelfish as renamed by the student body as pterophyllum scalare. Now I was hot about the bill cause I didn't ask for them to run the test on the damn fish my buddie did.
But he told them that i wanted this and gave them my info on where I lived and everything. Now I was really upset about this whole thing but here's the kicker.

For the testing of the animal they charged me $677.00 for 5.5 lab hrs.

For the finding of the type of fish and the spices of the fish they charged me $1,001.23 or 29.55 lab hrs.LMAO LOL LOL LOL can you beleave this it took the dum _ _ _s!! I full day and then some to figure out it was a Angel fish. OMG total stupid morons. Look in a book!!!!

Back
Top Bottom