angelfish with clamped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minzabella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone! I have a 29 gallon tank, kept at around 84 degrees. I've had 7 tetras and 3 platies for months now, and added 2 corydoras and 5 danios last week. there's only the 1 angelfish at the moment and up until this evening he's been doing great since I got him 6 months ago. he appears to have some splotchy, dark discoloration on his upper half and his fins are all clamped up. I'm very worried about him (and the water parameters are fine).. any ideas what I can do or what could be the problem? thank you!

When was the last time you did a water change? When you say your parameters are fine do you mean NH3 0ppm, NO2 0ppm and NO3 at least 5-10 ppm? There is a thread here somewhere that describes an illness for angel fish that might help you. I'll find the link.

found linkies

thank you for your response. I've been reading through all the angelfish related posts on this site and here: http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=messageindex;start=60
since I first posted, I've done a 50% water change and havent retested the water yet. , but he doesnt seem to being faring any better. he is now floating with his whole body pointed upwards (near the bottom of the tank(.. not finding any good info on what I can do to help him ASAP

Perhaps this thread will provide a link that will help. Has he got any other symptoms, rapid gill movement? He's not belly up though is he?

poor little fish. he just died. I dont understand what could have killed him so fast. he was fine this afternoon and then he completely deteriorated within a few hours. :cry:
thank you so much for your help and info. I'm going to do a bunch more research on angelfish health and diseases before I get more. its so sad to lose one.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. Perhaps this can help. This is not uncommon with Angelfish. There is a lot of debate as to it's causes and some feel that it is very similar to discus plague. Often, the first signs is erratic swimming, swimming upside down or at an acute angle.

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Poor little thing. Good for you for doing research to learn about these illnesses.

Sorry for your loss. I bought 6 juvie angels a while back and all of them died this way. :(

Back
Top Bottom