Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Angelfish with dark sunken spots behind his eyes: Part II

In the last few days one of my angelfish has developed dark, slightly sunken spots behind his eyes. The spots are about the same size as his eyes.

Any one know what the problem might be?

------------------------------

Tank parameters: 79 degrees, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 15ppm nitrate, 7.6 ph, 29 gallon tank.

The tank has been set up for about 4 months. I haven't added anything new to the tank for about 2 months.

The angelfish isn't acting unsual or anything like that. He seems to be eating normally.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Seeing the previous advice you recived I desided to do a little reaserch on your behaf..
This seems like it could very well the begining of a Myxosporean or Myxidium leei Parasite Infestation.. in the advanced stages the eyes are sunken and dark, you see a bony ridge around the eyes and the gut becomes bloated.. once the parisites have made it to this stage the likelyhood of saving the fish is slim.. there is nearly a 100% loss in aquaculture fasilities that become infected (of course being able to catch it early in these fasilities may be more difficult then it is at home)

http://www.ornamentalfish.org/common...rnalissue3.pdf
page 59-62 of this document has some rather heady information about it..

after the death of many fishs they do autopsys to determan the cause of death.. in wich case these seem to be in the gut.. that would make me want to treat this as an internal parasite infestation.. hopefully someone else can coment on how they would proceed.. but I would start a regiment of internal parisite foods as per instructions on the container..
anyone have a recomended anti-parisite food?
I do know jungle makes one and is likely the easiest to find...

I realize your peramiters are considered "fine" but.. in this case.. I would do some water changes to get the NO3 consentration to below 5ppm if it were my tank.. for the time being..

I hope this helps..

Old 11-20-2005, 12:34 AM   #3

you may want to quarenteen your angel if you have a QT tank and you can use the jungle fizz tabs for internal parasites... i have used that before with success on a sick gourami.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes.. the jounal of the fish vetinary society link I posted above did mention that this is contagious.. it would be wise to QT the fish infected if possible..
I should have mentioned that..
Old 11-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
Seeing the previous advice you recived I desided to do a little reaserch on your behaf..
This seems like it could very well the begining of a Myxosporean or Myxidium leei Parasite Infestation.. in the advanced stages the eyes are sunken and dark,
In my fish's case, his eye looks normal, and the dark spot is behind and slightly above his eye. I have attached an illustration I cobbled together in Photoshop to show what the spot looks like. I don't know whether that changes your diagnosis or not.

Edit -- As for the nitrate levels, there's no good way for me to get those down much lower than 10ppm or so. My tap water has 5ppm to 10ppm when it comes out of the faucet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunkenspot.jpg (36.1 KB, 194 views)
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

dark and sunken behind the eyes yes.. if you read the artical the entire area becomes dark once progressed.
I would treat for internal parisites..
Old 11-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtard
Edit -- As for the nitrate levels, there's no good way for me to get those down much lower than 10ppm or so. My tap water has 5ppm to 10ppm when it comes out of the faucet.
you might want to consider a good fast NO3 absorbing/low light plant to help with your NO3 levels..
Old 11-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #8

Do you have any suggestions for a plant that would do well in a 29 gallon tank with a 20 watt (I think) light?

I bought a 10 gallon tank yesterday to quarantine the angelfish. I'm currently treating him with formalin and malachite green. Is there anything else I should use?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

anacharis is usually mentioned as a hardy fast-grower, should tolerate low light.

www.ErnestJohn.com
workfortheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

anacharis is exactly what I was thinking.. good show Ernie. :P

and I would start treating the fish for the internal parisites ASAP.. this can move very fast and is fatal..

Tags
angel, angelfish, eyes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com