Angelfish with torn fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IHaveAquariums

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've noticed both of my angelfish have torn back fins, they're in a cycled tank with weekly water changes, 36 gallon bowfront, temp 80~, tanks mates are 4 Cory's, they have a lot of live plants, green cabomba, Val, chilensis, Java fern. Filtered with an aqueon hob, gph at 250~ I think, older model not quiet flow. Ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 5-10~, any suggestions as to why they might be torn? Thanks IMG_20171219_214144142.jpgIMG_20171219_214140223.jpgIMG_20171219_214112847.jpgIMG_20171219_214108136.jpg

Could be a few different things, a spike in the water levels, water changes not same temp. Stress from other fish. Might wanta check your filter system. Could even be not enough water conditioner. Lots of reasons. Need alittle more info. How many fish, are they nipping each other. Things like that.

Could be a few different things, a spike in the water levels, water changes not same temp. Stress from other fish. Might wanta check your filter system. Could even be not enough water conditioner. Lots of reasons. Need alittle more info. How many fish, are they nipping each other. Things like that.
Another thing is, they might not be torn. Your angels look medium size. Could be how they are growing out. They're are types that have that look. That's what it looks like to me. It's probably the type of breed you have.

Another thing is, they might not be torn. Your angels look medium size. Could be how they are growing out. They're are types that have that look. That's what it looks like to me. It's probably the type of breed you have.
Alright, sounds realistic to me seeing as they are getting bigger and there no one else in the tank to nip at them, just 4 Cory's as I mentioned above, thanks!

The pictured injury is typically referred to as "split fins" not a nip or tear. Very common, often due to territory scuffles, expanded fin presentation to rival fish, or the listed reasons Angel noted. Clean water and good nutrition usually heal that type of wound in short order. Nice looking Angels, pretty tank.

There are different breeds of angels. I really think they are just growing out. Just a pic of a type I love and is on my list to get. There are many more like this. Just say'n.

No problem, you have very pretty angels. Just keep an eye on them. If the fins look shorter that I'd say there's damage. But if they're longer than that's just the breed. Good luck to you and your beauty's!

Angels will fight each other, don't have to have other fish in the tank that are fin nippers, my angels used to lip lock, go to war and they were a matched pair, are your angels one female one male? Or both males /Females? As V227 said that's split fin not "nipped" just keep water pristine as it seems it is with your water parameters and watch for them fighting each other.

Back
Top Bottom