Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angels dying so confused

Ok here's the scenario. I have a 100 g tank, it was about 50% stocked. I went out and bought six angels ( the bigger ones cause I read they are more hearty) I'm down to 2. 3 yesterday and 1 today gone. None of them would eat and the 2 left haven't ate either. Parameters 0,0,20. I don't know what's going on
Supra

Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Always sad to hear about dead Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
Ok here's the scenario. I have a 100 g tank, it was about 50% stocked. I went out and bought six angels ( the bigger ones cause I read they are more hearty) I'm down to 2. 3 yesterday and 1 today gone. None of them would eat and the 2 left haven't ate either. Parameters 0,0,20. I don't know what's going on
Supra
The first thing I would do is contact the place where you bought the fish and see what parameters the fish came out of. You may have good parameters for your area but it's not the same as where the fish came from.

Second, when you say big, how big where the fish? Juveniles, Mediums, Large, Xlarge?

Third, assuming everything else was okay, what other fish do you have with them? Bully fish don't care if they are in a 1 gal tank or a 100 gal tank.

Finally, how long did you have them before they started dying off?

Maybe we can help diagnose the problem after you answer these questions.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say they are mediums, about a 3-4 inch tall not counting there long fins just body. I have one dwarf gourami, which I havnt seen him go near them, cories, platies, guppys,glofish, and glow light tetras. I was more worried about the other fish then the angels. I got them mon or tues. so they've been dying off immediately.
Supra
Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

This sounds like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
I would say they are mediums, about a 3-4 inch tall not counting there long fins just body. I have one dwarf gourami, which I havnt seen him go near them, cories, platies, guppys,glofish, and glow light tetras. I was more worried about the other fish then the angels. I got them mon or tues. so they've been dying off immediately.
Supra
...An acclimation issue.
Assuming the fish were healthy where you got them from, it sounds like either the water difference was too great from what they came from or the acclimation went too quickly. (I've also had people kill their fish on the way home by not properly transporting them ie making stops on the way home and the temps getting too hot or cold in the car.)

Assuming these came from a local shop, where these existing fish or new arrivals? Sometimes with new arrivals, the double acclimation is just too much for the fish. Check where you got the fish from and see if they had problems with their fish as well. If they still have any, ask if they had any mortality. If they were shipped to you, the handling may not have been proper and just stressed the fish out too much to which there was nothing you could have done to alter the outcome.

For any Fresh Water fish to not be eating soon after they are put into a tank, something had to be terribly wrong.

Keep us posted...
Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try to get you nitrates down

Tags
angel, angels, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com