Angels with clamped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I did a huge water change today to try to get rid of some planaria. I didn't feed any food yesterday or today, trying to starve out the planaria and hoping the fish will eat whatever is there. All of my fish seem relatively happy and active. However my 2 angels both have clamped fins. They don't have any sunken or dark spots, no signs of external parasites, fungal, or bacterial infections. Just clamped fins. They are picking at leaves and seem o.k. otherwise. However I know that there is an angelfish virus and I have only had these two for about a week. They are very small, their bodies are about the size of a quarter, maybe a bit smaller. I know that it could be stress from the water change, but I have had angels in the past and when this happens they usually drop dead in a day or two after their fins are clamped. I don't have any antibacterial food or anything like that. Water parameters are great with ammonia and nitrite at zero, NitrAte trace to 5ppm.

Any ideas? If these two angels don't make it, I am going to need to think of a different type of big centeripiece fish that swims mid to upper level. I've always liked angels but it is hit or miss to get healthy ones around here.

Well I grabbed some jungle parasite clear tabs from Walmart and dropped them in, that's the best I can do for now. It has metronidazole, praziquantal, diflubenzuron, and acriflavine. I know metronidazole is flagyl which in humans is used to cover gram negative bacteria in the gut and also used to treat some parasitic infections and stds, so all I can do is hope that this helps. It says it treats internal and external parasites as well as protects against secondary infections.
I can pick up some medicated food from petsmart tomorrow on my way home, I just don't have a clue what to get.

Can anyone give me any input from personal experience? I really think this is viral, from everything I have read, but if there is anything else I should do please tell me?

Ya I've been reading but have no idea sorry, I do know that younger angels are very sensitive but you probably already know that :( . It's beautiful I hope he pulls through!

Sharkbait54 said:
Ya I've been reading but have no idea sorry, I do know that younger angels are very sensitive but you probably already know that :( . It's beautiful I hope he pulls through!

Thanks for responding. I think ive done everything I can for tonight. The lights are off and I will update in the morning.

The only other thing I could do is put them in my 10 gallon QT but I would be setting it up from scratch and I don't want to shock their systems even more if thats the problem. Plus I've already medicated the tank. At this point I will just wait and see :(

Well I know when I do a big water change my angels stay toward the back of the tank for a little while. But never clamped their fins. Yours are younger so maybe the change hit them harder. Also you said you haven't fed in two days? I know younger fish need to eat more but i have also heard of fish lasting a long time without eating.... Mhmm that was no help lol just throwing some probabilities. Hopefully they'll rub whatever off by tomorrow. Good luck!

Lost the second one. I am so sad when these things happen. I am diligent with water changes and checking parameters. As much as I love angels I just can't bear to watch this happen again.

On a more positive note, its seems as though all of the planaria were cleared up by the meds. I'm going to wait a bit before I consider any new fish, but I am going to get my QT tank up and running.

Sorry about your fish. :( This is probably a dumb question but did you remember to add dechlorinator to the water with the water change? That's the only thing I an think of that could have caused something like that after a pwc, unless they were already sick and it was coincidence. Are there any other fish in the tank? Also with adding the meds I'd keep an eye on tank parameters b/c some meds can also kill off the beneficial bacteria in the filters along with other parasites. Again sorry about the fish. :(

librarygirl said:
Sorry about your fish. :( This is probably a dumb question but did you remember to add dechlorinator to the water with the water change? That's the only thing I an think of that could have caused something like that after a pwc, unless they were already sick and it was coincidence. Are there any other fish in the tank? Also with adding the meds I'd keep an eye on tank parameters b/c some meds can also kill off the beneficial bacteria in the filters along with other parasites. Again sorry about the fish. :(

Yes I did use dechlor and all the other fish are fine healthy and active.

I have 8 neons, 1 bolivian ram, 4 otos, 1 bristlenose pleco, 2 false julli corys, 1 Apple snail, and a few ghost shrimp.

I know meds can mess up the biological filter which is why I hate using them, but I wanted to try to save them if I could. I will keep a close eye on parameters, luckily i have a lot of toxin sucking live plants so it shouldnt be a problem.

That really stinks! I am very sorry. My best guess is just that they were a poorly bred or something. I agree with librarygirl that a water change shouldn't really cause a healthy fish to go downhill, at least not when its done by a responsible, knowledgable person like you.
Baby angels are sometimes ridiculously sensitive. I don't blame you for wanting to try different fish, but if you ever do want to try angels again, I recommend getting slightly bigger ones.

absolutangel04 said:
That really stinks! I am very sorry. My best guess is just that they were a poorly bred or something. I agree with librarygirl that a water change shouldn't really cause a healthy fish to go downhill, at least not when its done by a responsible, knowledgable person like you.
Baby angels are sometimes ridiculously sensitive. I don't blame you for wanting to try different fish, but if you ever do want to try angels again, I recommend getting slightly bigger ones.

Yeah if I ever do decide to get them again I will try to find them a little bigger. I hear they get hardier as they get bigger.

Yeah if I ever do decide to get them again I will try to find them a little bigger. I hear they get hardier as they get bigger.
Yeah, I have heard that too. Mine are all large now and they are not sensitive fish at all. They have come through several tank issues without even a flinch. But, I know babies are different. I have heard quite a few stories about babies not surviving even in pristine tanks.

I'm going through the same thing. My angels are young. I bought 5 at different times, and only 2 are left. I lost one yesterday. I looked closely at it and there were no signs of anything. The other angel in the tank is perfectly fine:confused:. I tested my parameters and everything is really good..amm 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, ph 7.6. Will they be ok alone? I've had such aggression issues I'm afraid to buy an additional one and then they do nothing but fight, but I don't want it to be lonely either.

I had the the same thing happen to me, I bought 6 baby angels i ended up with two, checked my water after the first one died, it was all good. Lost one a day after that. No other fish showed symptoms of any illness. Ive decided just to keep the two and leave the angels alone for now.

I lost my baby angel yesterday too! I was devastated. He/she ate when I fed them in the morning swimming acting normal then when I got home it was dead.:( All parameters where in check and all my other fish are fine. I'm sorry to hear about yours. I'm going to get another one in a few weeks after I make sure everything in my tank is stable.

Mumma.of.two said:
I lost my baby angel yesterday too! I was devastated. He/she ate when I fed them in the morning swimming acting normal then when I got home it was dead.:( All parameters where in check and all my other fish are fine. I'm sorry to hear about yours. I'm going to get another one in a few weeks after I make sure everything in my tank is stable.

I saw some larger ones at the fish store today for a good price. They were labled medium, looked pretty healthy. I am thinking about getting one in a week or so. We will see. I really want one nice decent size centerpiece fish. I was also eyeing the opaline gouramis. I will pick one or the other.

I'm going through the same thing. My angels are young. I bought 5 at different times, and only 2 are left. I lost one yesterday. I looked closely at it and there were no signs of anything. The other angel in the tank is perfectly fine:confused:. I tested my parameters and everything is really good..amm 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, ph 7.6. Will they be ok alone? I've had such aggression issues I'm afraid to buy an additional one and then they do nothing but fight, but I don't want it to be lonely either.
One angel alone is totally, completely fine IMO. Its better to have 1 than to have aggression. I am really sorry about all your other angels. But, IMO, your last one won't be lonely. Angels can certainly thrive on their own. :)

Back
Top Bottom