Anglefish Rapid Breathing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islandgirl82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have 2 angelfish, recently purchased (2 weeks ago). They seemed fine up until yesterday. My black angelfish started hiding, and I noticed his breathing his very rapid with his mouth open. He ate last night, but went back to hiding. This morning the white angelfish is acting exactly the same, hiding, breathing heavily, mouth open. They have not been gasping at the surface, no visible spots or fungus, poop was a little stringy but not white. I am scared to just through in some meds, since I have no other symptoms to help decide which meds to use. Has anyone got any ideas?

Tank Size: 29 gal
Set up for 2 months now
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates >10
Aquaclear 70 filter
200 watt heater
Temp: raised to 82 ( normally 79)
6 Lemon Tetras, 2 angelfish only inhabitants
Food: Nutrafin Flakes, Bloodworms, Brine shrimp, Tubifex worms
Water changes done every week 15-30% depending on test results.

Thanks for any help!!

I would lower the temp back to 79. They may just not be getting enough oxygen. Also try letting your filter splash a little at the surface.

Okay, I will lower the temp tonight when I get home. I should probably let you know, I just increased the temp yesterday when the first signs were showing. I will lower the water for the filter. The thing is I just added a 15inch bubble wall 2 days ago, would this still not be enough oxygen?

Be sure the bubble wall is not intense, otherwise the angel will expend much energy swimming against it.

Let us know any further developments, especially if the angel starts hiding in a corner or having difficulty staying upright.

Just remember gradually lower the temp. I would say only one or two degrees every 24 hours. You say you got the bubble wand 2 days ago and your angels started acting funny yesterday? I would take out the bubble wand and see if they improve. It could be that they are not used to all the action in the tank and it is stressing them. just guessing here, but its worth a try. good luck to you.

I feel awful, my angelfish died sometime in the night last night. I had taken him out and put him in the 10 gal hospital tank when I got home last night because he wouldn't eat or come up from his hiding spot. The 10 gal was in perfect cond. all param. at 0 and nitrates and only 5 or below. I had a gourami die of velvet ( 36 hours after I bought him) which I bought at the same store as the angelfish. I had aquarisol in the 29gal for 3 days, a week before this angelfish started acting funny. Maybe the medication didn't take, and the angelfish has had velvet since I got him? It is kind of hard to tell on him because he does have a slight gold coloring under his black and white anyway. Does velvet cause difficulty in breathing in the late stages? I still don't know what to do about the white angelfish , who is now in the 29 gal, and has started showing the same signs as the black ( breathing heavier than normal). The tetras in this tank are acting normal. Should I put him in the hospital tank and use Quickcure? Or just treat the whole 29 gal? I'm so confused!!! Up until I bought these fish ( from petsupermarket ) I've had no problems, all of my other fish that are fine were bought from my small lfs. Any help is greatly appreciated..... I don't want to lose anymore of my little fishies!!! :cry:

I am so sorry islandgirl. Unfortunately, you probably bought the disease along with your fish. I would remove the angel and put him into qt. At the very least do daily partial water changes. If there are no external signs of illness, I would suspect internal parasites. I would get a second opinion though before you treat for that. Good luck to you!

Bad news again!!!!! The white angel died sometime last night. I had moved her to the qt, with a water change, added 1/2 dose of Quickcure- but no help. Now I am down to the tetras, which my husband adores. I saw one of them scratch on a plant, but only once. They are all eating and active, though. As a precaution I did a 20% water change last night and added a little aquarium salt. I am leaving the lights off today until I get home this afternoon. I have seen no white or translucent poop- so I am discouraged on what this might have been. The gourami that died definately had velvet, as he was a non stop scratcher from the moment I put him in our tank, and had a slight golden dust. Could this still be velvet? If so, how should I be treating this?

Back
Top Bottom