Anormal feeding (and pooping) behavior in Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rezende

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a female Guppy which weird feeding (and pooping behavior).
She does not eat! She prefers to hunt something else on the ground and leaves instead of eating fish food.
She bites the food, and spit it...

Also, today I noticed this.
anormal_poo.jpg

I'm not a poo expert :blink:, but I don't think it's normal either.
What could be wrong? My first guess is some intestinal parasite, but for some time she is the only one with such behavior...

It looks like she's very pregnant, and sometimes they stop eating within a few days of giving birth. Also I've noticed my females tend to have a lot bigger poops whenever they're about to give birth.

It looks like she's very pregnant, and sometimes they stop eating within a few days of giving birth. Also I've noticed my females tend to have a lot bigger poops whenever they're about to give birth.

Actually, I have noticed that she stays at the bottom most of time, and defends the area against the other female guppy. I read this is also a common behavior for pregnant livebearers, but I didn't suspect because the usual black spot isn't so evident right now and she doesn't have the "squared" belly.

Thanks for the answer!!! :)
(let's see what is this Thanks button for)

by the size of that poop, looks like she may be or have been constipated.

try feeding her a blanched and deshelled pea, as it is a natural laxative

by the size of that poop, looks like she may be or have been constipated.

try feeding her a blanched and deshelled pea, as it is a natural laxative

That was my first thought. Tried to give her peas already.
My fishes like it a lot (even my shrimps, I hope it's ok for them), but this girl just bites and spits it out again :ermm:

Ditto on feeding peas. My guppies sometimes poo like that when they get constipated. Especially when pregnant. And they also get territorial so that may be why she is acting weird. Hormones.

After some peas (I gave them, but I'm almost sure she didn't eat it) she got back her normal size.
She was still behaving weird until yesterday, most of time just staying on the bottom, with her belly almost touching the gravel. Sometimes she would swim around, slowly, but not eating at all...

Today I found her in a very serious condition!! :(
Her body is bending to one side, she spins when she tries to swim!! Completely out of control!! :(

I'm reluctant to make an euthanasia, but at the same time I'm hopeless that she will survive. :(

She isn't fat anymore, so no more constipation I presume. She is actually very skinny right now.

Well, she passed away. :(
I have a dead fish and a girlfriend crying right now. :(

Maybe it was best for my Guppy. Unlike the other fishes, she has never looked happy and healthy in this tank.

Back
Top Bottom