Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh and also, my ph tests above 8, sometimes as high as 8.4. In the last month or so my male has grown his severely fin nipped fins almost half an inch. So as long as the ph is stable, don't be concerned.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylady View Post
ok, I will defiantely throw away the blood worms. I must have mis-spoke, or mis-typed and did not state that correctly. He bloats after having one pellet, even softened, and he did the one time I gave him the bloodworm, even after soaking it. The pea unbloates him... but only until I give him a pellet again...

How many days should I fast him?
Should I continue to give him the peas? If so for how long?
Ok. I am with you now. I would fast him for a day and then give him a pea, then fast, then pea. You can add also add salt to the water with live plants, but I suggest starting out at half strength and seeing how the plants react. Most plants will be ok with salt for a limited time. They will start to shrivel if it's too much salt, but should recover quickly once the salt is cut back. Still, try half strength first.
Then try a pellet again. If you can crush up the pellet so he is not getting thew whole thing, that might help too. The theory here is that more peas will help move along whatever is blocking his digestion. If that still doesn't work, try a different food. You are correct that in general flakes aren't good betta food. You can try the granules, I have had luck with them before. But first, I would try just crushing the pellets so they are smaller. I did that once and I put the pellet in a baggy and hit it with a hammer to break it in half.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomus View Post
Oh, ha! I was thinking one of those bigger sinking pellets. Glad that isn't the case.
Imo, I would feed him veggies and blood worms (frozen not freeze dried) for the next week or so. Then try a pellet. I wonder about soaking the food in garlic? I've never done this but hear it has benefits. Maybe some one else can chime in if this might help or not.
Thanks, no they are just small pellets and I do soak them first to help soften them.

The problem is not relieving the bloating, the pea seems to do that, it's the fact that he bloats everytime he has even the smallest amount of food, ie one small pellet. He goes completely skinny again once he has the pea or I don't feed him for a couple days. I'm just trying to figure out how or what to feed him so that he gets enough vitamins and protein without bloating up and having issues swimming every time he eats... I've never heard of the garlic thing...but I'm new at this so...

thanks for the help
Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
Ok. I am with you now. I would fast him for a day and then give him a pea, then fast, then pea. You can add also add salt to the water with live plants, but I suggest starting out at half strength and seeing how the plants react. Most plants will be ok with salt for a limited time. They will start to shrivel if it's too much salt, but should recover quickly once the salt is cut back. Still, try half strength first.
Then try a pellet again. If you can crush up the pellet so he is not getting thew whole thing, that might help too. The theory here is that more peas will help move along whatever is blocking his digestion. If that still doesn't work, try a different food. You are correct that in general flakes aren't good betta food. You can try the granules, I have had luck with them before. But first, I would try just crushing the pellets so they are smaller. I did that once and I put the pellet in a baggy and hit it with a hammer to break it in half.
Ok, I will do the fast then pea then fast thing for a week or so, do you think that will be enough time?

What is the reason for salt? I keep reading people do that but what really is it for? How does it help the fish?

I think we are talking about two different kinds of pellets, these are smaller then his eye, very tiny. that's why I soften it in water first, I put one pellet in a small glass, add some of his tank water, let it sit for 10 mins, then pour it back into the tank. The pellet gets very mushy and breaks down into something more the consistency of dust particles floating through the water, honestly I don't know how he's surviving on so little food at this point.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure how the salt works exactly. It is the same idea as gargling with salt water for a sore throat or after having wisdom teeth removed. Somehow it is because the bad bacteria cannot thrive with salt.
The garlic has been said that it helps with building the immune system, from the inside. Like I said tho, i've never tried and don't know the specifics.
Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylady View Post
Ok, I will do the fast then pea then fast thing for a week or so, do you think that will be enough time?

What is the reason for salt? I keep reading people do that but what really is it for? How does it help the fish?

I think we are talking about two different kinds of pellets, these are smaller then his eye, very tiny. that's why I soften it in water first, I put one pellet in a small glass, add some of his tank water, let it sit for 10 mins, then pour it back into the tank. The pellet gets very mushy and breaks down into something more the consistency of dust particles floating through the water, honestly I don't know how he's surviving on so little food at this point.

Thanks for your help
Yeah, about a week of he peas/fasting should help.
I was thinking of the larger betta pellets, but the reason for breaking the pellet up is to see if the bloat is a reaction to ANY food, or too much food. If you soften it first, then try only taking a few bits of the softened pellet and feeding him. Like I said, it's just part of trying to get to the bottom of the issue.
In this case, the reason for the salt is so the osmotic potential helps him poop more. Also, like smomus said, the slat makes it harder for bacteria to live which could otherwise attack him while his immune system is low, but in this case I am suggesting it for the laxative factor.
Bettas honestly don't need a huge ton of food. He is probably just fine on the amount of food he is getting. The pea has some nutritional value for him too. So, don't worry about him starving to death during this. The greater issue will be finding out if the internal issue is reversible. Hopefully it is. It's great that he has you to keep trying to heal him.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #17

OK, thank you all so much for your help!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How is your betta?

Tags
betta, bloat, bloated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com